5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Re: Finally the Launch??

Post by chili4way »

1. vortex generators likely associated with the 61 KT single-engine certification requirement mentioned by Dave.
  2. CD-300 (Centurion 3.0) originally certified June 2017; could not find any application in certified aircraft prior to the DA50
  3. probably both pitot and static are heated as the plane is FIKI like the DA62
  4. no current pricing information in the press coverage
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

chili4way wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:49 pm
  1. vortex generators likely associated with the 61 KT single-engine certification requirement mentioned by Dave.
  2. CD-300 (Centurion 3.0) originally certified June 2017; could not find any application in certified aircraft prior to the DA50
  3. probably both pitot and static are heated as the plane is FIKI like the DA62
  4. no current pricing information in the press coverage
1. But you don't see them on an SR22, Mooney, Cessna TTX or other fast 300hp piston singles.

2. That's not too reassuring. I also read on the Continental site that it's not yet FAA certified which might be part of what is holding up the DA50.

3. Nice!

4. I think Dave posted it one time, I just couldn't find it. A more thorough search and it looks like about $1M typically configured. Sort of slots in between the 42 and 62 as I guess we should expect.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:21 pm I enjoyed that video also and it raised a few questions.

1) I noticed there were vortex generators on the wings in the area of the ailerons. That's the first time I've ever seen those on a Diamond. Safe to assume those are on the production plane?

2) What's the history of the CD-300?

3) There is a switch labeled "Pitot static". Is that the Pitot heater or the alternate pitot static selector?

4) Remind me what this plane will cost vs a DA42-VI?
1. The DA50 vortex generators by the ailerons are the same as those of the DA62. By keeping the airflow attached to the wing at high angles of attack, they provide aileron roll control during a full stall.
2. As far as I know the 6-cylinder CD-300 has never been used in a certified aircraft before. But it's built by Continental in the former Thielert engine factory that also produces the certified CD-135, CD-155, and CD-170 4-cylinder turbodiesel engines.
3. The Pitot/Static white rocker switch on the panel turns on the electrically-heated pitot and static ports, just like the same switch does on a DA62.
4. While I've never seen an official pricing/options list for the DA50, it's roughly the same cost as a comparably-equipped DA42-VI twin. So from a customer standpoint, you can decide which is more important for your mission: greater cabin space, comfort, and the simplicity of single-engine operation (DA50) vs. higher performance and 2 engines for flying over inhospitable terrain (DA42-VI). They both have the same 44-foot wingspan for fitting (or not) into a hangar.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

CFIDave wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:14 pm 1. The DA50 vortex generators by the ailerons are the same as those of the DA62. By keeping the airflow attached to the wing at high angles of attack, they provide aileron roll control during a full stall.
Thanks Dave! I had figured out their purpose, but I was not aware they were also on the DA62.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by chili4way »

Yes, it's a relatively new engine. Like the others before it, it's a "Mercedes derivative" (see OM642). It should benefit from the previous learning by Thielert/Continental and perhaps Austro. It will be interesting to see how the engine part of the MX cost projections compares to the Austro.

The reasons there are vortex generators on the DA50 but not on the others are likely due to differences in some combination of airfoil design and maximum gross weight. DA50 MGW is 800 lbs / 22% higher at 4400 lbs compared to SR22 and TTX at 3600 lbs. (DA62 MGW is 5071 lbs.). VGs involve a small tradeoff in cruise performance to get that improvement in low-speed characteristics. I doubt Diamond would have added them if they weren't necessary. More cost (and places to collect bugs).

Interestingly, I found an STC to add VGs to the DA42. Vmc is reduced by 9 KIAS and Vso is reduced by 7 KIAS. https://microaero.com/vgkit/da-42/
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:21 pm...I noticed there were vortex generators on the wings in the area of the ailerons. That's the first time I've ever seen those on a Diamond...
The DA62 has 'em.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:21 pm I enjoyed that video also and it raised a few questions.

1) I noticed there were vortex generators on the wings in the area of the ailerons. That's the first time I've ever seen those on a Diamond. Safe to assume those are on the production plane?
Looks to be the same set of vortex generators found on the DA62’s outboard wing section.
drmiller
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Drew
Aircraft Registration: Newplane
Airports: KMKN

Post by drmiller »

Used to own a DA40, and interested in DA50, but concerns include:
1. Doesn't look like anyone in Europe has bought it, despite on market for over half a year.
2. Who will service it where in initial years, especially if this thing does not sell well?
3. Does the retractable gear send insurance costs and difficulty in obtaining (no RG experience) through the roof?

Anyone out there planning to buy a DA50 when available in US (yes, I know it will be at Oshkosh and supposedly info on buying in US then). Recommendations to go after it or wave off?
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by chili4way »

The DA50 is more plane than I need for my missions. The DA40NG fits me perfectly. I think we will all get a better perspective of North American market acceptance after Oshkosh. The Diamond service centers will certainly service the plane and, perhaps more importantly, the Continental CD-300 engine. Since Diamond is still reworking their North American service network, it's unclear what MX solutions will be available to you in Colorado. Hopefully Arapahoe Aero at KAPA will get more "diesel savvy" (Austro & Continental) than I understand them to be at present (and would love to be mistaken about this). Retractable gear aircraft almost always have a higher premium as gear-ups are not as uncommon as we'd wish and expensive to repair. How much remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if insurance underwriters take a look at the gear-up rates of the DA62 (which has warning systems) as a guide since the two planes are so similar. Of course, pilot time in complex aircraft will also be a factor.
drmiller
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Drew
Aircraft Registration: Newplane
Airports: KMKN

Post by drmiller »

Thanks for reply! I have googled, and can't find any indication of a single DA50 sold in Europe, despite approval last Sep. See no listings for any DA50 for sale in Europe. This seems really odd, and would like to know if a warning.