2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dean
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N801VA
Airports: SPI

Nxi upgrade

Post by Deanrobert »

Our 2017 serial # 62-053 has the 1st generation NXI G-1000. Seems like every time I’ve upgraded a garmin system , it takes 6 months or so to work thru the bugs/ changes. I’m not dying to have our ads-b in display on our mfd or the flight stream functionality.. is there any reason we should go thru the upgrade !
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Nxi upgrade

Post by CFIDave »

My plane is nearly the same age as yours (62.056), and based on my experience, I would strongly recommend upgrading your NXi Phase I configuration. There are 2 different steps you can take:

1. First, upgrade your software to a newer version of NXi Phase I. This will permit 2 major improvements:
- you can replace your GTX335R with a GTX345R in order to get ADS-B IN weather and traffic.
- you can install a FlightStream 510 wireless card to sync your panel with an iPad running Foreflight or Garmin Pilot.
In my case, this allowed me to get rid of my old Stratus box wirelessly feeding ADS-B IN weather and traffic to my iPad. In my opinion, this upgrade is a "no-brainer" because of the benefits:
- ADS-B traffic that's far superior to TAS600 active traffic, and
- The ability to upload flight plans (and re-route changes) wirelessly from the iPad to the panel.
(I paid for a transponder upgrade when I bought my plane in 2017, so Diamond paid for the GTX335R-->GTX345R hardware upgrade.)

2. Then, upgrade your hardware and software to NXi Phase II. This will entail substantial hardware replacement including replacement of a pair of GIA63Ws-->GIA64Ws, GEA71-->GEA71B engine interface, and GMA1347-->GMA1360 new audio panel. The good news is that because of demand for used GIA63Ws by Legacy G1000 owners, you'll end up paying for only half the approximate $25K cost of this upgrade. The biggest benefit of this upgrade is the new audio panel, which enables:
- Bluetooth audio from your phone or iPad, so you can make phone calls from your headset through the panel (useful when obtaining IFR clearances before takeoff at non-towered airports), or wirelessly playing music files from your phone or iPad, or hearing Foreflight's audible warnings (e.g., runway length in feet available before takeoff, "five hundred" feet warning when on approach to land, etc.) through the panel and your headset.
- 3D Audio so you can more easily monitor more than one radio at a time, e.g., continuing to hear ATC approach in one ear when you're also trying to listen to your destination airport ATIS in the other ear.
But the biggest benefit of installing NXi Phase II hardware may be that it prepares you for NXi Phase III software that should be available in a few months. Phase III will include all the "missing" NXi features that other airframe vendors delivered back in 2017 that we Diamond owners never received, such as Visual Approaches and SurfaceWatch.

At this point there shouldn't be any issues "going through the bugs" because they've been worked out. For example, NXi Phase II hardware installation initially caused the flap lights to illuminate on my DA62 -- the fix (now well-documented) was to install some resistors in-line with the flap lights.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Deanrobert
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Deanrobert »

Dave- thx for all the info .. very useful
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Deanrobert wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:22 am Our 2017 serial # 62-053 has the 1st generation NXI G-1000. Seems like every time I’ve upgraded a garmin system , it takes 6 months or so to work thru the bugs/ changes. I’m not dying to have our ads-b in display on our mfd or the flight stream functionality.. is there any reason we should go thru the upgrade !
By far the most compelling reason for the upgrade is that Diamond has told us they will never issue a software upgrade to a Phase 1 airplane. No Phase II means your plane's avionics are frozen, you will never see a bug fix or new feature. Ever.
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

And since it’s so compelling it is just investing into the value of the plane. That’s why we also decided to do the P2-Upgrade and while enjoying the advantages of the new software.
Deanrobert
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Deanrobert »

Thx ..
Deanrobert
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Deanrobert »

I’m assuming this work. Weds to be done by garmin dealer: my regular shop, avionics place in Rockford , Illinois, hasn’t done this upgrade yet.. any recommended shops in Midwest ? Approx spend on this upgrade ?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Upgraded Garmin software is free. You pay only for about 2 hours of Garmin dealer tech time to install and configure the software for your plane.

The Phase I hardware described above is the cost of a new GTX345R transponder, installation, and some wiring from the DA62's equipment bay in the nose, to the cockpit panel area to carry ADS-B IN weather and traffic signals.

The Phase II hardware is about $25K, but you'll get $12K of that back as credit for your removed GIA63W units.

I had all of the work performed by SouthTec Aviation (at KRUQ in Salisbury, NC), which worked with a Garmin shop co-located on the field. You might also consider taking your plane back to the Diamond factory in London for these upgrades.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Deanrobert
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Deanrobert »

Thx Dave
UTMark
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N100DA
Airports: KSPK

Post by UTMark »

I would note that while the cost of the equipment for phase 2 might be $25K, and perhaps you’ll only pay close to half of that… When we did the upgrade, there was additional shop fees that were pretty substantial where we went. I’d be sure to get that all quoted out before you pull the trigger. I don’t think it’ll be just $13K.

But having gone through the phase 2 upgrade myself… I believe it was an awesome investment in the long-term value of my aircraft, as well as improved functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KSPK, Spanish Fork, UT
N100DA DA-62 62.078