2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dean
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N801VA
Airports: SPI

Re: Coolant leakage

Post by Deanrobert »

We do get a low coolant light at start-up; after warming up it goes out- no overheating .. going to check further on the head gasket area
Wilfried
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wilfried
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OEFSJ
Airports: EDMA

Post by Wilfried »

A couple of years ago I had a coolant leakage on both engines at the same time. We detected the leakage after landing in Kangerlussuaq after a 4h hour leg over Greenland No joy! It could have been our last flight. We tightened the hose clamps and thereby stopped the leakage. The hoses had been replaced according to the regular maintenance intervalls a few flight hours before by our shop...
42.N020
UTMark
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N100DA
Airports: KSPK

Post by UTMark »

We're getting similar symptoms on our RE... however this normally occurs for us after a flight where we've been running at a higher power setting like 90% rather than 75%...
KSPK, Spanish Fork, UT
N100DA DA-62 62.078
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

vnehess wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:20 am My case was loss thru the relief valve.
Low coolant announce was observed on the next flight.
Loss appears to be in-flight but I did not see the fluid until later when it had drained down to lowest point and dripped out. No visible indication of loss while flying, no high temp condition, initial discovery was next morning after long flights.
My experience matches this. I've had the coolant system serviced and replaced relief valves, a couple of times, without solving the problem.
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jon
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N75RZ
Airports: KGYY

Post by janders »

I see the same thing. I've had a `R COOL LVL` which seems to go away just prior to departure since I first purchased the plane. Usually takes about 15 minutes of time for the Coolant Temp to come into the green then it goes away. I have never had any fluid leaking observed.

My plane is going to SouthTecAviation for its annual soon and it's one of my questions as to what's going on.
Current E50P owner
Former C172 and DA62 owner
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Karl »

N157DA wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:13 pm I see the same thing. I've had a `R COOL LVL` which seems to go away just prior to departure since I first purchased the plane. Usually takes about 15 minutes of time for the Coolant Temp to come into the green then it goes away. I have never had any fluid leaking observed.

My plane is going to SouthTecAviation for its annual soon and it's one of my questions as to what's going on.
If the light comes on it needs topping up.
In this case it seems to be right at switching level between adequate and low. As it heats up the coolant expands and raises the level enough to activate the switch.

Low coolant can cause cylinder head issues and as the low coolant warning is recorded in the FADEC then Diamond will be able to deny any warranty should they wish to.

My advice is to get it topped up ASAP.
vnehess
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N515GG
Airports: KRHV

Post by vnehess »

I Agree, if the COOL LVL on it needs topping up or the sensor has failed.

To complicate matters, in the midst of diagnosing my root cause, the mechanic did correctly diagnose and replace the coolant level sensor due to observing COOL LVL after a refill.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

You may run into an issue if you simply try to top off the coolant after receiving a COOL LVL annunciation:

After cutting the safety wire and removing the "radiator cap" on top of the expansion tank (the next day after the engine is completely cold), you may find that the system will still retain some pressurization, coolant will overflow out the top of the cap opening, and you'll see that there's no way to add more coolant.

To add more coolant and make the COOL LVL message go away, you need to remove some of the air trapped in the system to drop the coolant level in the expansion tank. There are two "bleed screws" on coolant pipes that can be removed, but what works even better after removing the cap is to pry open the coolant high-pressure relief valve (you don't need to cut its safety wire to do so) on the side of the tank. Once you open the valve even a tiny amount (by pulling it straight out with pliers, an open-end wrench, or a flat-blade screwdriver), you'll immediately see the coolant level drop so you can add more fluid.

Put the cap back on, and run the engine on the ground, getting it hot enough to open the thermostat to remove any more air potentially trapped in the system. Run the engine until the coolant temp on the G1000 shows at least 80degC; you'll see the temperature drop a few degrees when the thermostat opens. Let the engine cool overnight, and again check the coolant level in the overflow tank to see if you need to add more coolant. Repeat if necessary, and then safety wire the cap.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Even though I posted this in another thread, here's an easy way to obtain more coolant for Austro engines if you live in the US and have a NAPA Auto Parts store nearby. This stuff is pre-mixed so you don't have to dilute with distilled water; just pour it in.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ZRX859537
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Post by Davestation »

Karl wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:03 am Low coolant can cause cylinder head issues and as the low coolant warning is recorded in the FADEC then Diamond will be able to deny any warranty should they wish to.
Shenanigans