3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N316JZ
Airports: KPOV KPGD

Traffic system differences

Post by Zebedee »

Can someone explain the differences and the benefits of the Avidyne TAS 605 Traffic advisory system and the ADSB traffic alert system.

Thank you

Jim
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Traffic system differences

Post by CFIDave »

I have both systems in my DA62, so here's the difference:

TAS
The Avidyne TAS 600-series of active traffic units sense the Mode S or Mode C transponder transmissions of nearby "target" aircraft, and display each target's relative position on your screen for traffic avoidance. TAS also shows each target's relative altitude, and if the target is climbing or descending. But TAS does not display any information about the target's direction of movement. TAS operates independently of any ground stations, and thus works anywhere in the world where other aircraft have their Mode S or C transponders turned on. Prior to the advent of ADS-B IN, TAS was the "gold standard" for traffic detection by GA aircraft.

ADS-B IN Traffic
ADS-B IN directly senses transmissions of target aircraft that are equipped with ADS-B OUT, and displays each target's relative position on your screen for traffic avoidance. Like TAS, it also shows each target's relative altitude and whether the target is climbing or descending. But unlike TAS, ADS-B can also display a movement vector, so you can observe the absolute or relative direction of travel by each target. And some systems can also display the tail number of each target. ADS-B IN is much more accurate positionally, and has much longer range than TAS.

In the US (only), the FAA has established multiple ADS-B ground stations that will indirectly provide information about additional targets in your plane's immediate vicinity. These targets can be other ADS-B Out-equipped aircraft that transmit on only one of the 2 frequencies (UAT or 1090ES) that might not be directly received by your plane's ADS-B IN as described above, or transponder-only (no-ADS-B OUT) aircraft. This ground station relay capability is not available everywhere in the US due to mountains and altitude restrictions, but tends to be located where most GA aircraft fly.

So the bottom line: In the US TAS is pretty much redundant/obsolete if you have ADS-B IN. (I got it before Diamond finally certified ADS-B IN GTX345R transponders for the DA62; I wouldn't install it today.). However in other parts of the world, TAS is still valuable for detecting transponder-only targets that don't have ADS-B Out installed.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Zebedee
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Registration: N316JZ
Airports: KPOV KPGD

Post by Zebedee »

Thank you for a wonderfully precise explanation that gives real world examples of both systems.
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

I think to summarise, get a TAS system only if flying outside USA. I know some flight schools oustside the USA don’t want to upgrade to ADS-B out as airspace infringements will be easier to track so TAS will be around for a long time.

I would prefer if Diamond used the Garmin TAS systems, Avidyne don’t appear to have a good relationship with customers.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Why don’t you think Avidyne has good customer relationships? I have seen some complaints on the Cirrus and other forums about the cost of the warranty but the company is still supporting 15-year old PFD/MFD systems which is a plus. It’s a small company but I had Avidyne avionics in my Cirrus and had excellent customer service. You can call them and get good responses and the warranty service was speedy. I spent a fair amount of time chatting with them at Oshkosh this year about their new PFD/MFD replacements for the older models and all their stuff looks good and works well. Not on the payroll or anything, but I’ve used them and liked them a lot. Just my two cents. It’s not an issue in Diamond Aircraft generally other than for the TAS traffic but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an airplane with their avionics (e.g., IFD 550/540/440 navigators or DFC90 autopilot).
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

MackAttack wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:01 pm Why don’t you think Avidyne has good customer relationships? I have seen some complaints on the Cirrus and other forums about the cost of the warranty but the company is still supporting 15-year old PFD/MFD systems which is a plus. It’s a small company but I had Avidyne avionics in my Cirrus and had excellent customer service. You can call them and get good responses and the warranty service was speedy. I spent a fair amount of time chatting with them at Oshkosh this year about their new PFD/MFD replacements for the older models and all their stuff looks good and works well. Not on the payroll or anything, but I’ve used them and liked them a lot. Just my two cents. It’s not an issue in Diamond Aircraft generally other than for the TAS traffic but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an airplane with their avionics (e.g., IFD 550/540/440 navigators or DFC90 autopilot).
I agree that Avidyne is doing a better relationship of serving legacy customers than Garmin. Garmin seems to consider Diamond owners an annoyance.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Unfortunately, I think it may be more accurate to say that Diamond considers legacy Diamond owners to be an annoyance ... since Garmin really can't deal with owners directly on the avionics that are part of the type certificates. Unlike what they can do for retrofit avionics like the G3X or TXi/GTN and GFC600/500 equipment. I found Garmin service to be great on my G3X avionics when I flew behind them ...