4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

DA62 as an air-to-air photo platform

Post by photoSteveZ »

Since I got a DA62 my A36 Bonanza has been sitting in the back of the hangar with the cargo doors removed: its only role these days is as a photo platform for my air-to-air work. It’s not really reasonable to keep it around for perhaps 20-30 hrs/yr in that role.

So I’ve been trying to figure out how to make the DA62 work as an air-to-air platform. The simplest solution I’ve come up with would involve installing an openable camera window in the left side passenger door’s window; the photographer (me) would take off belted in the right middle row passenger seat, then once airborne would fold down the left seatback, pivot around to face aft with his (my) feet in the third row’s foot well and sit on the folded seatback with his (my) back supported by the pilot’s backrest, open the window and fire away.

Of course, it’s all just a thought experiment at this point. Some of the questions that need answering include:

1. How is the window secured in the door frame and what’s the procedure to remove/replace the acrylic?
2. Would Diamond sell me a window blank, or would it have to be entirely custom fabricated? What third parties can fabricate a replacement window with an openable camera port?
3. What’s the airflow outside the window doing at cruising speeds? Positive or negative pressure (guessing negative)?
4. What kind of approvals, if any, would be needed from the FAA?
5. How do I find a DA62-qualified photo pilot? ;)

Has anyone here seen or heard of someone tackling this problem before?
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: DA62 as an air-to-air photo platform

Post by Steve »

Steve:

Sounds like an interesting project. All of my air to air and air to ground is strictly as an amateur (although I sometimes shot "RIGging" photos from the flight deck of a P3C in my Navy days). This was done through a dedicated optical port behind the pilot's side window.

To your issues:

1) Not sure about the 62, but on the 40, the side windows are held in place by a silicone-type sealant, and I believe that they are fairly easy to R&R.
2) I'm sure Diamond would sell you a window, but the cost will be up there. A shop with experience working with acrylic materials should be able to rout a port, then attach some hinges and some type of catch to secure the port when closed. Also not cheap.
3) It would be negative pressure, you can get an idea of what it would be like by opening the vent window in flight (I sometimes do this for photos). You might want to include a fairing on the front edge, especially if the openable portion is large.
4) This would need an approved 337. If someone has already done something similar for another model aircraft, you could use that as a template.
5) Look in the mirror.

The other issue to consider is how to belt/harness yourself in while in the "photographer position".

Steve
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I've done some research into this. I bought a second canopy window (DA40) with the intention (still unfulfilled) of making an opening for my wife's camera.

I contacted the Swiss company (Mecaplex) that makes the windows for Diamond and asked them about cutting it. They responded that there were no specific instructions, it's just plexiglass and I should search the web for "cutting Plexiglas". I went to a TAP plastic store and they would not cut it, by policy, but you might find one that would.

TAP did have some solutions for creating a sliding port on the window. Basically some track that could be attached on the inside with adhesive (they have special adhesives for plastic) and then pieces of plastic (various thicknesses, etc.) that could be slid into place in the track to close off the opening. The result would be a portal that could be closed up when not being use for photography. If I brought them the window with the opening, they would fabricate the "sliding door" that would close it up.

1. Don't know.
2. Yes. Look at the IPC and you should be able to find the part #.

http://support.diamond-air.at/da62+M52087573ab0.html

3. Negative for the little canopy window on the 40/42. I suspect still negative on the big window. I wouldn't think it would be any different than the missing door on your Bonanza.
4. The age old question. Permission or forgiveness?
5. No idea.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I believe more than half a dozen DA40 models (possibly one DA42?) have flown with the rear door removed. Not on purpose. It didn't sound unpleasant or like handling was affected adversely. Pretty sure one of the pilots is on the board. You could called Angel City Flyers and ask if they have an instructor that it happened to, I believe one of the stories I heard was from them.

So it has been demonstrated to fly okay (noisy) with it removed. I'd see about just creating a way to make the left window removable. Then you could work on the important work of getting comfortably situated to shoot. If you needed help from Diamond I would point out to them that it is a pretty good market to start making inroads into. They already spend a lot of effort on the sensing platform sales.

I think you need to sit up higher so that your butt is level with the sill. That's more how you are working in the Bo, right?
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by photoSteveZ »

Some good ideas, thanks, Russ.

Colin, the cargo doors on the A36 are huge, from floor to ceiling and from the edge of the rear facing middle row’s seat cushion to the forward lip of the baggage well. If I’m the only one shooting in back, I’ll just sit in the middle row seat closer to the opening and use the lap belt. If there are two shooters, the one closer to the door slides to the floor after takeoff and the other slides over behind him/her. Both photographers must be wearing harnesses in this case, and are clipped into the seat structure.

In the 62, I’ve worked out a shooting position as outlined in my original post. It would put my eye position fairly high in the window and my butt, as you suggested, at about window sill height.
69233072-9307-4A10-B371-3A9B75FAFC86.jpeg
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Steve, I was wondering if you think there would be any distortion from hot engine exhaust when shooting a subject behind and below you? I can't tell where the exhaust trails are relative to the rear window, and hopefully they are not a factor in the DA62 anyhow, but I just happened to think of that.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by photoSteveZ »

Rick wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:35 pm Steve, I was wondering if you think there would be any distortion from hot engine exhaust when shooting a subject behind and below you? I can't tell where the exhaust trails are relative to the rear window, and hopefully they are not a factor in the DA62 anyhow, but I just happened to think of that.
In my experience, only quite large engines throw off enough heat to distort the optics of air sufficiently to cause a problem for photography. B-25 Mitchell: disturbed air behind the engines is noticeable in high-res photos. Beech Baron: not a problem.

The DA62's engines put out much less power than a Baron's, and I would expect no issue with distortion.
UTMark
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N100DA
Airports: KSPK

Post by UTMark »

Air to air… (but through a window)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KSPK, Spanish Fork, UT