2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: CFERG
Airports: CYPQ

Center stick comfort

Post by Flyingferg »

Hi everyone, I am seriously considering upgrading to a DA62. I have been reading all the great information on this forum to gain as much insight on owners real world experiences as I can.

Can anyone comment about the center stick arrangement and fixed seat position for comfort on long IFR trips? I am sure it is great for hand flying. I wonder what it is like for long trips on auto pilot. Do you find the stick is in the way for eating lunch or working on an IPad or oddly enough the dreaded bathroom break in the sky (peeing in the bag)? Only an older guy would ask this kind of question.

I appreciate any comments you can provide.

Thank you
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Re: Center stick comfort

Post by VickersPilot »

Great questions Wayne & a very big welcome to DAN,

Frankly yes, there is no getting away from having a stick is better for hand flying and worse for IFR on the autopilot. BUT - it applies only to the pilot as the P2 side the stick can be removed [option]. The iPad will likely move from your lap at present to the fixed position on the A-Pillar in the DA62 so this is likely even more comfortable as you won't need to look down all the time. If you buy a used Diamond, you can add the A-Pillar RAM mount or if you buy new, you can order it as an option for 1 AMU.

But it took me year so flying the Cirrus and Diamonds concurrently to realise, somehow, I just wasn't as fatigued after a day of flying the Diamonds. There is something about the seating arrangement or significant reduction in vibration/noise that puts less stress on the body. Perhaps even less dehydrated as you're not shaking on a tumble dryer for hours on end. As for using the Travel John with a centre stick, this is something I'll need to learn when my '62 arrives - if you figure out how to do it before then, please post back here!!

VP
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Flyingferg wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:14 am Hi everyone, I am seriously considering upgrading to a DA62. I have been reading all the great information on this forum to gain as much insight on owners real world experiences as I can.

Can anyone comment about the center stick arrangement and fixed seat position for comfort on long IFR trips? I am sure it is great for hand flying. I wonder what it is like for long trips on auto pilot. Do you find the stick is in the way for eating lunch or working on an IPad or oddly enough the dreaded bathroom break in the sky (peeing in the bag)? Only an older guy would ask this kind of question.

I appreciate any comments you can provide.

Thank you
I really like a center stick: my first solo was in a J-3 Cub in 1969 and over half my 8000+ hours have been flying a stick. I'm in that same age cohort, and peeing in a bag is the only way to fly longer legs in comfort. The TravelJohn (Aircraft Spruce and other outlets) is what I use, and it works as well in the DA62 as it does in any other airplane I've owned, whether center stick or yoke...which is to say it's 'mission adequate' as opposed to a delight to use. You should avoid any of the pee-in-a-bottle gizmos, obviously.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

No issues with the center stick -- including on the ferry flight of my then-new DA42-VI across the north Atlantic (28 hours flying over 3 days). You forget it's there when in cruise on autopilot. (It doesn't bother my pilot wife either, but she never wears skirts or dresses in the plane.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Flyingferg
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: CFERG
Airports: CYPQ

Post by Flyingferg »