3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jon
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N75RZ
Airports: KGYY

Re: ECU 'gotcha' in my DA62

Post by janders »

photoSteveZ wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:58 pm If anyone's interested in the way the DA62 behaves with the power 'stuck' between 13% (taxiing) and 20% (landing), here's a video of the landing circuit, taxi and shutdown at KLXV yesterday.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/poi7pvmo6zm9e ... 7.mp4?dl=0
When you parked; they sounded just like turbines running on the ramp.
Current E50P owner
Former C172 and DA62 owner
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jon
Aircraft Registration: N75RZ
Airports: KGYY

Post by janders »

Before I headed out to colorado earlier this month I gave the guys at Aspen Flight Academy a call and they told me a similar story about how when they first landed their new DA40-NG at KTEX they couldn't do the ECU test for the runup. So they flew over a second DA40-NG to pickup the first crew but then that plane was also grounded because the engines were running too high to do the ECU test. Eventually, they called someone who knew what was happening and now they know what to do, but still...

Apparently, there is some hidden documentation I think on what you should do in this situation but I can't find it.

Also, Aspen Flight Academy has a really cool deal going on with the local high school. They are running a charity to basically let any kid who wants to learn to fly get time 1 hour free dual in a brand new DA40-NG and further flight training at greatly reduced prices. The high schools runs a ground school program too. I think AFA gets new planes from diamond every year and Atlantic helps them out with fuel costs at KASE which is huge. It's exciting to see aviation being made accessible to so many kids.
Current E50P owner
Former C172 and DA62 owner
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

photoSteveZ wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:09 pm Thanks to everyone for chiming in. Except for the surprise factor and the brake pad wear (taxiing at 13% power isn’t fun), there was no safety concern. Takeoff and climb out of LXV was more comfortable by far than it is in my normal-aspirated A36. But in future I won’t land at Leadville in the 62 often, if ever. Too bad, because it really is a stunningly beautiful setting.
I'm wondering if it's feasible to shut down an engine in that situation while taxiing? Or is the asymmetrical thrust too much to manage?
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Karl »

[/quote]
I'm wondering if it's feasible to shut down an engine in that situation while taxiing? Or is the asymmetrical thrust too much to manage?
[/quote]

I have taxied a DA42 single engine but it is far from easy. You need to keep the speed up so may not be any better than having two running.

Extremely difficult if you try to do it from a standing start and probably not to be recommended due to side loading on the nose gear.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I had to shutdown an engine on takeoff and it had not returned the blades to the starting position so I was unable to get it started once I was off the runway. I found I could only go in circles. Deep down I felt confident that if it had been an untowered airport I could have gone in circles of increasing radii until I was going fast enough to have rudder and nosewheel authority. My brother thinks that was crazy to believe.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Colin, I think you need to grab Wayne's video gear and go try that and post it!
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

In the process of buying a DA42NG now. One of the trips I am excited about is going to Mexico City. The GA airport, MMJC is at 8120 MSL with a 4265 foot runway. The high temperatures max out around 80F. Do y’all anticipate this issue occurring at MMJC?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

michael.g.miller wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:23 pm In the process of buying a DA42NG now. One of the trips I am excited about is going to Mexico City. The GA airport, MMJC is at 8120 MSL with a 4265 foot runway. The high temperatures max out around 80F. Do y’all anticipate this issue occurring at MMJC?
Go back and look at the Austro engine diagram that Russ posted near the beginning of this thread. 8120 feet MSL is roughly 750 mbar pressure altitude, which according to the Austro diagram would result in a minimum idle speed of about 10% power/load. (Normal idle load on Austros at sea level is about 2-3% power.)

I'm guessing that would require more braking than normal, but not as much as Lake County in CO at 10,000 feet (700 mbar). I don't know if 750 mbar would cause props to feather when shut down.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

CFIDave wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:29 pm ...Austro diagram would result in a minimum idle speed of about 10% power/load....

...I don't know if 750 mbar would cause props to feather when shut down.
I'm assuming the ECU would take care of that even if the power levers are all the way back, right?

Can you start the engine normally if the prop is feathered? I know it's a lot more effort.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

mfdutra wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:07 am
CFIDave wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:29 pm ...Austro diagram would result in a minimum idle speed of about 10% power/load....

...I don't know if 750 mbar would cause props to feather when shut down.
I'm assuming the ECU would take care of that even if the power levers are all the way back, right?

Can you start the engine normally if the prop is feathered? I know it's a lot more effort.
Yes, this is with the power levers brought all the way back to idle. Engines will start normally.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI