3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Which Manual?

Post by nworthin »

In trying to learn about my sometime-in-2021-to-be-delivered DA62, I've been reading through the POH (I think Diamond calls it an "Airplane Flight Manual").

Full marks to Diamond for publishing these things online at no cost. Not so full marks for making it completely unclear which one applies to which particular version of aircraft and/or certification regime. Maybe even less marks for possibly not including all the relevant manuals....

The two core manuals I have found are:

1. Dated April 1, 2015 with a "requirement" of JAR-23. I have no idea what JAR-23 is. This one seems to "emanate" from Austria.
2. Dated October 24, 2019 with a "requirement" of AWM 523. Again, what is "AWM 523"? This one seems to "emanate" from Canada.

I haven't found any FAA specific manuals. Did I overlook something?

What should I be referring to as a US based owner?
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Re: Which Manual?

Post by pietromarx »

Isn't this it? http://support.diamond-air.at/da62_afm_ ... 73ab0.html

The front cover says "This airplane flight manual has been approved by the Canadian Department of Transport in accordance with the Canadian Aviation Regulations. This airplane flight manual is FAA approved for U.S. registered aircraft in accordance with the provisions of 14 CFR Section 21.29, and is required by FAA Type Certificate Data Sheet no.: A00012NY."

Many airplanes, including some of the most highly innovative ones, are certified under non-US regimes and then put through the regulatory requirements of the FAA. I say this as an American who's seen a lot of regulatory regimes.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

You are looking at the generic manual. You'll receive a serial number specific AFM with your plane. It will have insert pages for any upgrades to the base certified airplane, service bulletins addressed, options installed, etc. @chili4way had his scanned, generously shared it with me and I swapped and inserted pages specific to my plane so I have a digital and searchable copy of my AFM which means I don't need to carry the paper manual to comply with the FAA requirements.

98% of what is in the generic manual will be applicable to your plane, particularly the procedures and performance tables. Of course the W&B section will be specific to your plane.

The waiting is horrible!
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

The DA62 in particular is confusing because it started out in 2015 as originally being certified in Europe by EASA -- by being added on to the DA42's pre-existing Type Certificate (with the FAA approving this for N-registered aircraft).

Then a few years later Diamond decided to shift DA62 (but not DA42) type certification and development responsibility from Wiener Neustadt, Austria to the Diamond factory in London, Ontario. At that point the DA62 got its own unique Type Certificate and the principal certification authority became Transport Canada. This new TC also got "rubber stamped" by the FAA for N-registered DA62s.

Because of this Type Certificate change, a supplementary aircraft data plate had to be added to the tail of DA62s like mine (I now have 2 data plates installed on my 2017 model).

So at this point the latest manuals (AFM, AMM, etc.) for the DA62 are all initially approved by Transport Canada, with the FAA also granting approval of these documents.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Something to consider doing while "patiently" waiting: Buy a cockpit poster (or the electronic download version and get it printed locally) and use it to do some chair-flying. See this from Cockpit Revolutions in the UK.

This poster hasn't been updated to the G1000 NXI Phase II avionics included in the current production DA62s; the key difference is the audio panel which shows the GMA1347 instead of the current GMA1360.

And if you're new to the G1000 NXI avionics, consider buying the PC Trainer to run under Windows 10 for $50. There aren't any for the Diamond aircraft, however, I've found the Piper Archer to be a satisfactory substitute for my DA40NG. Of course, the engine gauges are meaningless for my plane, and doubly so for a Diamond twin. However, the main display features, options, and functionality match the airplane. Just always plan to fly it using the GFC700 autopilot.

I've written a PIREP about the NXI PC Trainer here: PIREP: Garmin G1000 NXI PC Trainer v20.81