2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Daniel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N520DA
Airports: KFRG

Travel Cover for DA62

Post by robottwo »

Hi,

My plane is going to be spending a lot of time outside in the northeast. Wondering if anyone can recommend a cover to get for it?

Also, how much do they weigh and how bulky are they? Can they be crumpled up and thrown in the forward baggage compartment?

Thanks!
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Re: Travel Cover for DA62

Post by photoSteveZ »

I like the Bruce's Covers lightweight travel covers: they weigh very little, they fold up into a small package and they fit in my DA62's nose lockers (I have the shorter canopy cover and the engine covers).

But (you knew there was a 'but' coming, right?) they are NOT recommended for long-term outdoor storage, only for short trips away from the hangar. The covers they make for long-term storage outside are much heavier, and I don't have any experience with them.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I also recommend Bruce's as a company. I've always had excellent service and support. Bruce ended up spending a couple of hours in my hangar awhile back and we chatted much of the time. He's running a solid business and committed to a quality product. I suggest you call them and talk through your needs.

I had a similar long life/short life, light & compact vs heavy & bulky tradeoff on sail covers when cruising in the tropics. I opted for the light cover and more frequent replacement.
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

I have the full weight fabric cabin cover from Bruce's, and am pretty sure it will fit in the left nose compartment if you fold it well.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

ultraturtle wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:37 pm I have the full weight fabric cabin cover from Bruce's, and am pretty sure it will fit in the left nose compartment if you fold it well.
Compression sacks are a great aid in packing tightly and securely.

https://www.rei.com/product/175327/rei- ... stuff-sack
robottwo
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Daniel
Aircraft Registration: N520DA
Airports: KFRG

Post by robottwo »

Thanks!

Is the difference between the lightweight covers and the heavy ones just how long they last, or do the heavier covers actually provide more protection?
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

robottwo wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:21 am Is the difference between the lightweight covers and the heavy ones just how long they last, or do the heavier covers actually provide more protection?
I've never owned a Diamond cover (yet), but I had a Bruce's cover for my SR22. I had a lightweight cover to begin with. I tied down in the AZ sun for a few months, and one time when I went to take the cover off, it tore because it was so thin. It likely wasn't providing much, if any UV protection at that thickness. The cover quite literally disintegrated in the AZ sun. No fault to Bruce's - that sun is intense!

I then upgraded to the heavy duty "sunshade material" cover from Bruce's. It definitely weighed a lot more, but it was super thick and stayed that way for my entire ownership.

My takeaway is that the travel covers are fine for travelling. However, if you intend to use the cover on a regular basis with UV exposure, get the heavy duty cover.
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

Also needing covers. My need is for travel, but sometimes the plane can stay out on winters / snowy conditions. What are the essential covers?

- Canopy
- Engines ?
- Props ?
- Wings & tail

Just wondering what the real need is. Props and engine are a bit questionmarks.
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

Pehu wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:03 am Also needing covers. My need is for travel, but sometimes the plane can stay out on winters / snowy conditions. What are the essential covers?

- Canopy
- Engines ?
- Props ?
- Wings & tail

Just wondering what the real need is. Props and engine are a bit questionmarks.
My opinion based on owning an SR22 (closing on the DA42NG next week!) is: canopy cover, pitot cover, engine inlet cover.

The reality is, while prop, wings and tail covers will certainly help the condition of the plane, they are a nuisance to put on and take the fun out of flying.

Focus on the essentials: canopy is relatively easy to put on and protects your interior and avionics. Inlet plugs prevent you from toasting your engine with a birds nest. Pitot cover avoids an airspeed failure.

Is it nice to have a perfect paint job maintained for 20-30 years? Sure, but it’s not worth 20 minutes of hassle per flight. At least in my book.
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

Wings and tail tend to gather frost, which can be nuisance to remove. That is why wing/tail covers in the winter are essential in my opinion.

But props are easier to clean, so that is why I was wondering about those. The prop covers are not super expensive thou, but will save few 100's anyways :)
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland