1 Diamond Member
First Name: Nokicky
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: 9HXYZ
Airports:

Alert Volumes

Post by nokicky »

Hi all!

I recently got my DA62 back from Austria where it had the G1000 NXI Phase II upgrade.

The bluetooth music and new audio panel is awesome! Super happy with it. I've been tweaking the settings to get the music volumes right and stop the music being muted by the intercom and radio (I prefer to hit the music button on the panel to temporarily mute). This works great now.

Since the upgrade the traffic alerts are super loud though (like crazy painful haha). The GMA quick volume setup seems to be the place to change this (hold down enter on the PFD while booting) but I don't know which ones are for traffic. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advanced,
Nick
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Alert Volumes

Post by CFIDave »

I've never seen anything in the G1000 NXi manuals that describe holding down ENTER on the PFD while booting for GMA quick volume setup. Can you provide a reference?

To adjust the traffic alerting volume separately from other volume levels likely requires entering into Configuration Mode (which is not normally supposed to be accessed by pilots) and then navigating through multiple pages to find the GMA input levels.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Just curiosity on my part (I have a steam-gauge airplane), but is there a method for exporting all the configuration data? That would certainly make it easier if you had to have a module replaced in the field. A recurring topic here concerns the difficulties pilots have re-configuring their G1000s after service. If you could export that file before service, and reload it afterwards...

Steve
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Steve wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:59 pm Just curiosity on my part (I have a steam-gauge airplane), but is there a method for exporting all the configuration data? That would certainly make it easier if you had to have a module replaced in the field. A recurring topic here concerns the difficulties pilots have re-configuring their G1000s after service. If you could export that file before service, and reload it afterwards...

Steve
There's nothing like that now, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Steve wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:59 pm Just curiosity on my part (I have a steam-gauge airplane), but is there a method for exporting all the configuration data? That would certainly make it easier if you had to have a module replaced in the field. A recurring topic here concerns the difficulties pilots have re-configuring their G1000s after service. If you could export that file before service, and reload it afterwards...
There are two sets of configuration data.

The pilot customizable features (map preferences, MFD data strip, etc.) can be saved as a "crew profile". I export this each month onto the upper SD card in the G1000 MFD as a backup.

The G1000 configuration parameters are theoretically fixed at certification. The GDU software (PFD and MFD), and those parameters are stored on the "Software Loader Card" for the airplane and can be downloaded by any shop with access to the Garmin servers. After changing my tail number, which required changes to several configuration parameters, my avionics shop made a new Software Loader Card for me in the event I should ever be in a situation where it needs to be reinstalled. Some owners have also modified the various parameters to enable features and customize behavior beyond what has been certified. Since my shop was able to make a copy of my modified configuration (with new tail #) I think it's fair to assume that the software and configuration can be exported. That said, it's clearly outside the intent of the FAA and Garmin for that to be performed by owners.