3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Re: I'm Getting a DA62

Post by nworthin »

Hey, everybody, thanks for all of the encouraging comments above. The wait is killing me!

I was asked to select colors and, skeptical me, I started looking at the so-called "Ruby Red" that's promoted on the web site. Turns out it's official trade name is Red Pearl and it's neither really red (it's more of an amber color, like a construction brick) and pearlescent (very small metallic particles so lower sparkle).

Some might like that but I wanted a sparkly bright red.

The other current red option (called "Flamenco Red") is definitely more red but also low sparkle and not quite what I had in mind.

I got a contact to Tony Boros, Sales Administrator in London, who was enormously helpful. The head of their paint shop happened to have a quart of "candy apple red" in full metallic and he's painting me up a sample. If I like it, they will do the heat tests (to confirm it won't transfer heat and risk delamination). It was an excellent interaction and I'm really pleased by how I was treated.

By the way, on a related topic, I'd heard that they had been having trouble with the striping (it's an applique, not painted) but have solved that problem by applying a small strip of "disappearing" leading edge tape at the front of the stripes. They had tried to paint these stripes but getting a quality fit and finish across door boundaries, etc. was really difficult. So, now they have solved the problem.
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

nworthin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:18 pm By the way, on a related topic, I'd heard that they had been having trouble with the striping (it's an applique, not painted) but have solved that problem by applying a small strip of "disappearing" leading edge tape at the front of the stripes. They had tried to paint these stripes but getting a quality fit and finish across door boundaries, etc. was really difficult. So, now they have solved the problem.
Here's an example of leading edge tape on the vinyl stripes:
IMG_1649.JPG
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

"Candy apple red" would be awesome on a DA62!

A complication is if you're getting the optional GWX70 weather radar. For many of the approved colors, a different paint has to be applied to the nose radome in order to avoid blockage of radar radio frequencies (approved aircraft vs. nose paints are listed in the DA62 AMM and updates). However you want the radome paint color to match the rest of the aircraft as closely as possible. If there are any metal flakes in candy apple red, it probably can't be used on the radome.

I've had chrome vinyl tape stripes come off my plane only near the nose baggage doors -- where it's very thin. Application of clear leading edge tape would fix this.

A bigger issue on my DA62 is the Diamond logo and text vinyl applied to each side of the baggage doors -- it's slowly disappearing from flying thru heavy precipitation. I'm not sure the application of clear leading edge tape would help there. I've seen the factory paint the Diamond logo on a few DA62s, but not the "Diamond Aircraft" text.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

If you get candy apple red, a matte black nose would look very cool.
Or some other color, such as a glossy blue, and have a blue accent line along the body... Plenty of ways to solve that issue.
But these truly are tough problems.... :)

Tim
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

I've always preferred choosing lighter colours on the wings. I'm uncertain why, but even with the best effort to avoid small scratches, they tend to accumulate on the wing. A lighter colour, say silver seems to show the scratches up less than say a more extreme colour like black. Bit of an extreme example but you get the point...

Candy Red looks cool!
Kevincejnar
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kevin
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: OKTUR
Airports: LKLT

Post by Kevincejnar »

I have a demo flight in 2 weeks, I have been doing endless research and it seems like the best all round option so far. So far I just started flying and am hoping to learn in the DA62 and find a friendly pilot / fbo to also help me get the most of it whilst learning. Any advice or information received gratefully.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Lord help me I just priced out a DA62 with my local dealer ... a bit north of $1.5 mm USD. Oh well, you only live once ... :) Will report back if I wind up taking the plunge. By the way, things are looking up for insurance based on discussions with my dealer and my broker with respect to pilots on BasicMed, although in fairness, with a 1-year wait time, everything could change down the road.
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

Tracking CPI, they will be 5% more expensive next year. In an inflationary environment, the cheapest time to buy is now if you can lock in a fixed price… at least the depreciation will be ‘hidden’, you might even get the nominal value back when you sell in a few years!!
da50speed
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Logan
Aircraft Registration: NDA50
Airports:

Post by da50speed »

Congrats, Norm! When is your DA62 scheduled for delivery?
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Hey folks, rather than start my own “look at me!” Thread - I thought I would just post here. Ordered my DA62 today from my dealer (Premier). Q3 of 2022 delivery (probably late Q3). 5-seat version plus cargo tray (but will opt for the 6-seat version if its available in time). Same for the GWX75 radar if that’s available in time… otherwise pretty standard options on the order although I did go for the keypad.

My demo flight was very interesting and really showed off the airplane’s capabilities (big surprise). Loved the rapid, 4000’+ emergency descent and the “look at me, ma, no stall break!” Handling of the plane. Really inspires confidence in the pilot. Trailing link is all its cracked up to be… easiest plane to operate and fly that I have every flown, no joke. Stupid simple, really … push the throttles, raise/lower the gear/flaps, pick a % power, watch your fuel tanks and that’s about it. Rock solid and stable … in fact, the most complex thing about the 62 is probably the G1000 and all its buttons :)

My other airplane is a Piper M600 (which I share with a partner). I really love the G3000 and prefer it to the G1000 as it is so customizable and flexible. For now, I plan to fly both and we will see how that develops down the road.

Looking forward to the delivery but its a long wait … so am going to try not to dwell on it too much. At my age, I’m not in such a hurry to see time accelerate anyway!

Thanks again to all the DAN members for all your helpful posts and info along the way … I felt much more knowledgeable about all the pluses and minuses of buying from the company after being on here for a while ….

Cheers!