3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Re: Considering a DA62 - Is it fun?

Post by nworthin »

VickersPilot wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:25 pm Manufacturing input costs are rising steeply. Check Bloomberg on the topic. European Purchasing Managers Index (PMI) where a lot of the parts originate is at a 3 year high of 57.9. Input price PMI is also rising fast. I think we can expect to see continued annual price rises in all new aircraft (not just Diamond) that will help a little with depreciation.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see people paying an extra >$50k for a 2022 delivery later in the year. I don’t think the Buyer Class is the same as the SR22 - it’s very seldom for a twin to be ‘shared’ and it seems a lot of DA62 owners have the option of an SETP but for our various reasons have chosen the DA62 - I don’t think that can be said for as high a % of SR22 owners. My reason was two engines over water (Swimming is cold here!)
I agree with your points. Another factor, considering that these birds are manufactured outside the US, is the likely decline in the value of the US dollar as increased dramatic fiscal stimulus is piled on top of loose monetary policy.

But the problem with inflation is everything inflates so a nominal increase in the value of something (like an aircraft) can fake us out into believing that the values of the assets we own are keeping up.

You may be right, though, that we Diamond twin owners are such a select and discerning group (and, given the Cirri are produced by the bucket load) that values will be supported and maintained compared to "commoditized" aircraft like the SR22.

I hope so, but that's not really not the driver of my decision to buy. As you note, the real comparison group for buyers of DA62s are SETP owners. I'm actually one of those but have made the decision to sell my PC-12 in favor of a plane that, for my projected future use, fits my needs better and is, I believe, "more fun".

And, I also completely agree with you about the 2nd engine. My mission is lots of flying over water (relatively warm water, but still) and, I think, this is one scenario where the relative merits of two engines versus one (with or without a chute) are clear.
StuartJ
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Stuart
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62NC
Airports: KUGN

Post by StuartJ »

I changed from a PC-12NG to a DA-62 at the end of 2020. About 1/4 of the capital cost and 1/4 operating cost with 2/3 of the speed. I made the change because am nearing retirement and expect more personal versus business travel. Loving it so far!
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by nworthin »

StuartJ wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:15 am I changed from a PC-12NG to a DA-62 at the end of 2020. About 1/4 of the capital cost and 1/4 operating cost with 2/3 of the speed. I made the change because am nearing retirement and expect more personal versus business travel. Loving it so far!
Stuart, sounds like you and I are brothers!

With my PC-12, I had a manager and pilot when it flew for business without me who acted as co-pilot (and preflight check, flight plan filer and occasional potty emptier) when I flew it for business or personal use. I really found that managing the aircraft was nearly a full time job that I didn't want to do. And the flying, except for the first and last 30 minutes, was not all that much fun. Hence the interest in the DA62.

I'm about to close on the sale of the business that mainly used the PC-12 so that need is about to go away. My other mission with the PC-12 was relatively frequent flights to NYC and Boston area from Sarasota. The PC-12 had no problem with the distance but these trips sometimes turned into 4 1/2 hour flights. Way too long! I've come to the conclusion that I really should get something simpler and more fun for my many personal local flights (Florida, Bahamas and near Caribbean) and then a fractional jet (that I can fly) for the occasional long range jaunts.

It's my aviation "barbell strategy".

It sounds like you've just gotten the DA62. What's your experience been so far versus the PC-12? I was just reviewing my logs to get an update to my insurance broker to get a read on DA62 insurance availability, requirements and cost and realized that for the past five years all I've flown (except for about 50 hours in a motor glider) has been turbine and I feel it may have biased my opinions. Really interested in your "transition back to pistons".
StuartJ
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Stuart
Aircraft Registration: N62NC
Airports: KUGN

Post by StuartJ »

Norm, my situation with the Pilatus was very similar. I had a pro-pilot who also managed the aircraft. A lot of business trips he would fly one way and I would do the other. For long family trips like Chicago to West Coast we would split the outbound legs and I would make it home nonstop on my own. I now have the DA62 with a flight school, not for training use but just for hangar and management, which is much more cost effective than previous arrangement. Some trips will take longer but wife is happy with the comfort. If going for a fractional jet I would go to PlaneSense with PC24. They won’t let you fly it though.
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by nworthin »

Stuart, don't tell my wife that PlaneSense now has PC-24s in the fleet. ;) We are already having (mock) fights about "selling her Pilatus" and making her sip O2 through the nose! She doesn't realize it, though, how much she's gonna prefer the jet and, I'm hoping, at least for short stuff like weekend trips to the Keys, that she will deign to go with me in the DA62!

I was surprised to come upon Jet It. (https://www.gojetit.com/red-jet-squadron/). They are the only fractional I've seen that does let you fly. It's a (no less than) 16 day transition to get typed with Flight Safety at the Greensboro factory, then a day or so of CRO and SOP training at Jet It headquarters (also located near the Honda Jet factory). I ran the spreadsheet math, including guaranteed buy back after ownership period and it's just about the same in total as what I was spending on the PC-12 (but better cash flow with the Jet). I actually enjoyed the PC-12 initial training (not so much the annual though) and am looking forward to adding a type rating after my name....
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

nworthin wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:43 am...I really found that managing the [PC-12] was nearly a full time job that I didn't want to do. And the flying, except for the first and last 30 minutes, was not all that much fun...
You'll find the DA62 to be easier to fly than pretty much anything you've been in. I'd say it is as simple to operate as a car, but I would be lying. It is simpler. I use mine to cut my 5:30 hour drive to/from work down to 1:20 flying time plus a couple short car rides. 5 less hours in the car is 5 fewer hours of white-knuckle defense against other cars and wildlife constantly trying to kill me. That alone makes flying any aircraft fun by comparison, but the DA62 relieves the pilot of so many concerns, that it becomes the most peaceful and comfortable way I can concieve to travel:
- No gaggle of throttle quadrant levers to figure out and constantly tweak - just a simple single lever per engine to control it all.
- No constant monitoring of engine parameters. Any exceedances show up on EICAS, but because of the FADECs, there are no exceedances.
- Spare motor means no need to constantly look and plan for airports within gliding distance, and peace of mind over water, mountainous terrain, and during night time operation.
- Flight controls are super responsive, and the aircraft quickly becomes part of you. You strap a DA62 onto yourself, as opposed to so many other aircraft that you must strap into.
- Checklists are quick, easy, and intuitive. You quickly develop a flow.

I find it tremendously fun to fly.
Jody
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jody
Aircraft Registration: N119DA
Airports: KHHR

Post by Jody »

I bought a DA62 from the factory in Canada in December and have flown it almost 100 hours since then. I got my twin rating in a DA42 and after one long cross-country flight in it, decided the 42 was a great trainer but not really a proper cross-country machine. The DA62 is much more comfortable and spacious and has a higher useful load. If you are flying over mountains as I do regularly, having de-icing capability and built-in oxygen is great, not to mention the weather radar. It can be challenging to find a hangar large enough, but I pay up to share a big one with private jets. If you can afford this plane, let it sleep indoors and you'll protect your investment. And yes, it is SO much fun! I've been flying only Diamonds for the last 5 years and I don't regret it at all.
Deanrobert
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dean
Aircraft Registration: N801VA
Airports: SPI

Post by Deanrobert »

I had a similar transition to the da-62/ before selling my business i flew an F-90 KA ( loved it) then went into a partnership on a CJ-1: sold out/ retired went to a da-42ng and now the 62.
It’s an awesome plane.. only drawback for me is that the CJ spoiled my wife ..she is not much for bouncing around in the weather down low... otherwise the 62 is the best. ..