3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Bose Proflight Series II vs Bose A20

Post by VickersPilot »

Would anyone care to share a PIREP on how the Bose Proflight Series II performs on the DA62 vs the A20 Headset?
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jon
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N75RZ
Airports: KGYY

Re: Bose Proflight Series II vs Bose A20

Post by janders »

I tried to try yesterday before my brake issue. Last flight I used the A20s didn’t notice bumping my head on top but yesterday as I was getting seated, I did note that the top of the pro flight was just touching the top and being slightly dislodged. Didn’t get the engines spoiled up so can’t talk about noise. I used clarity alofts when training in a da42, and those were great. I’m sure the pro flight will be fine from a noise POV...
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

Jon, very interesting the Clarity Alofts worked well in the DA42. Looking at their website, it appears CA doesn't have ANR.

"No. They do not need to provide ANR because the noise blocking characteristics of the advanced foam ear canal tips take the unwanted and potentially harmful ambient noise of the aircraft down to a safe listening level."

It would be most interesting if CA could be used in a Diamond with passive noise reduction.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

VickersPilot wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:26 pm Jon, very interesting the Clarity Alofts worked well in the DA42. Looking at their website, it appears CA doesn't have ANR.

"No. They do not need to provide ANR because the noise blocking characteristics of the advanced foam ear canal tips take the unwanted and potentially harmful ambient noise of the aircraft down to a safe listening level."

It would be most interesting if CA could be used in a Diamond with passive noise reduction.
We have been using the Halo headsets for years in our DA40 - they are the same principle as the Clarity Aloft. My wife and I both love them. In my opinion, they provide plenty of noise reduction and very clear audio. I prefer them to every other headset I've tried, including some pricey ANR headsets. I also have a Clarity Aloft, but I find the Halo a little bit more comfortable to wear.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Khardiganmd
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Kenneth
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N426yp
Airports: Ksav

Post by Khardiganmd »

I’ve used Bose A20 in DA-42-6 predominantly but have also used the Bose Proflight. A20 is more effective in noise cancellation but if you can effectively fit the Proflight earpiece into your auditory canal with a snug fit it’s an acceptable alternative..My wife prefers the Proflight as it is lighter and less constricting.. The noise level in the Da-62 is slightly less than in the 42. (? Distance to nacelle is slightly more) So, I suspect the Proflight might even be slightly more efficient in lowering the noise level .. ATC comes through loud and clear on both .
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

To present an analogous comparison:

I've used the Clarity Alofts for years in my DA40. Right now I'm using a Lightspeed Tango, because I'm mostly doing relatively short flights. I find the noise characteristics to be different, but effective levels are close enough not to matter. With the CA's I have a Blu Link adapter for FF alerts from my iPad.

The CA allows more flexibility in what sort of sunshading hat to wear. The over-the-ear types are often compromised by a cap that produces air gaps where the cap fits under the pad. The CA's are also more foggles-friendly, especially when one wears eyeglasses.

Why the two? I find the CA are great to wear. I come to forget I'm wearing them. But it's inconvenient getting the Comply-supplied plugs into your ear. This is especially true when they've been sitting in a cold hangar, as they stiffen up. It matters less when on long trips, since the headpiece mount instances per flight hours is lower.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5