5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Beringer brakes & tubeles tires on DA62

Post by CFIDave »

CFIDave wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:57 am Beringer tires and brakes will become standard on new DA62s with the coming May 1 price increase in North America.
I meant to say "wheels" and brakes... :oops:
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

photoSteveZ wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:31 pm
CFIDave wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:57 am Beringer tires and brakes will become standard on new DA62s with the coming May 1 price increase in North America.
Flightstream 510 will also to be standard, from what I’m told. Roughly a 3% increase in base price, and some options will also be higher.
If that price increase is truly only 3%, that represents really excellent cost management from Diamond. Given the global supply chain challenges and factory input price pressures (plastics, freight, microprocessor issues etc), and no price increase last year (I think?), it seems very fair. Once they remove the scary OEI issue with Garmin Smart Rudder Bias, the gap with Cirrus will close both financially and emotionally.

Back to Beringer, anyone know if the STC includes or allows for inclusion of the Anti Skid Regulator? Cirrus don’t offer it at the single calliper OEM installation but it is included in the dual-calliper aftermarket STC.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

New base price as of May 1 is said to be $1,171,000 USD.
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Post by nworthin »

Jroseund wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:25 am Hey nworthin.

Was curious if you were able to get a PIREP from Beringer?

Hope you had a blast at Sun n Fun!
Sun n Fun was great. First time out of Covid prison - I had two Moderna shots in and was 12 days in on the two week waiting period but figured I would risk it. Beautiful day and what a relief to be out and about!

On the Beringer stuff, they did have their booth but the guy there was pretty clueless. Basically said the DA-62 Euro version was not yet approved and just shrugged about when it might be coming to US. It seems like he was wrong about the first statement and, assuming the May price increase results in Beringer standard then also wrong about that....

At least I hope so!
SkymanIL
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eran
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: 4XD
Airports: LLHA

Post by SkymanIL »

The EASA Beringer STC is number 10075937 published March 24, 2021 and active so he was clearly out of sync. It covers : "DA-62 Wheels & Brakes
replacement Replacement of Main Wheel,Nose wheel, brake assembly, axle, master cylinder and brake lines."
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

We (the DAN6 representatives) talked to Diamond Canada about this yesterday.

As noted here, new DA62s subject to the May 1 price increase will be delivered with Beringer brakes and wheels standard. However, if there is sufficient interest among existing DA62 owners in upgrading to Beringer brakes/wheels, the Diamond Canada factory may be able to offer an upgrade package.

Once we receive approximate pricing for such an upgrade from Diamond, we will publish it here on DAN and begin to solicit input from DA62 owners to see how many will want to replace their existing Parker/Cleveland brakes/wheels with Beringer brakes/wheels. Stay tuned...
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

CFIDave wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:06 pm We (the DAN6 representatives) talked to Diamond Canada about this yesterday.

Once we receive approximate pricing for such an upgrade from Diamond, we will publish it here on DAN and begin to solicit input from DA62 owners to see how many will want to replace their existing Parker/Cleveland brakes/wheels with Beringer brakes/wheels. Stay tuned...
Don't forget about us DA42 folks with the 1,999 kg gross weight.

I got an email last week from Beringer about the DA42, "Thank you for your inquiry! Diamond is testing a variant of our STC-013 for this right now, so it’s not available yet but it will be soon for sure."
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

The Beringer upgrade has two parts, wheel/brakes and master cylinders. The cost of each piece is about the same, or in other words, also replacing the master cylinders doubles the cost. Does anyone know where the real value lies? Are the wheels and brakes the biggest benefit, or do the master cylinders contribute equivalent to their cost?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Russ: Can you split the system into wheels/brakes vs. master cylinders? I was (perhaps mistakenly) under the assumption that the STC requires both parts to be upgraded together.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

CFIDave wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:40 pm Russ: Can you split the system into wheels/brakes vs. master cylinders? I was (perhaps mistakenly) under the assumption that the STC requires both parts to be upgraded together.
Good question. They are definitely priced and available separately. You can buy three wheels and two brakes, you can buy the cylinders, or you can buy a complete system with both. If they were required to be purchased together, I don't know why they would sell the wheels / brakes separately since those are obviously not just parts.

Attached is the STC approval letter which makes no mention of the cylinders, but does have the ambiguous word "system". The STC itself with the maintenance instructions is all about the wheels and brakes because the cylinders have nothing that can be maintained in the field.

I've made a specific inquiry to Beringer.

If they are available separately, do the cylinders add much value?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 4.46.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 4.45.29 PM.png