3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N100DA
Airports: KSPK

Most Hours in a DA-62

Post by UTMark »

Hey Everyone,

I'm curious to know how many hours you guys have flying in your DA-62?

Mark
UTMark
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N100DA
Airports: KSPK

Re: Most Hours in a DA-62

Post by UTMark »

Oh, I'm also interested in anyone flying a DA-62 (or even 42) who once owned an SR22.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Let me open bidding - 1 hour (only test flight) :)
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

I have about 100h...
Kerry
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Kerry
Aircraft Registration: N62MC
Airports: KCMI

Post by Kerry »

Hobbs hours or flight hours?
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

UTMark wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:27 pm Oh, I'm also interested in anyone flying a DA-62 (or even 42) who once owned an SR22.
I recently sold my SR22 and bought a new DA42. Only 20-30 hours in the 42 so far. Don't want to derail this thread so can PM if you want details.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Kerry
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Kerry
Aircraft Registration: N62MC
Airports: KCMI

Post by Kerry »

Dan, if the OP doesn't mind, I would very much like to know how you compare the DA42 with your SR22. I've flown an SR22 for a few hours, and got my ME cert in a DA42.
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

Ok, I'll try to keep it short.

First, I fly for fun and it is fun for me to try something different every now and then.

Second, I've had a growing unease about the future of avgas. 98% of GA pilots and aircraft owners scoff at this and there is a 98% chance they are right not to worry. But I did. Whole 'nuther thread there.

I flew a Diamond DA40 for 1,000 hours before getting a Cirrus. I didn't want to like the Cirrus, thought they looked tubby, stalled easily on base to final and then burst into flames. I didn't care about a parachute. I took a test flight in an SR22 while planning to buy a Cessna TTx. The day after the test flight my brain watched in disbelief as my hand signed a contract on a Cirrus SR22.

Wide cockpit, beautiful panel with 12" screens, a keypad in the right location, FIKI, an air conditioner that works, fits in a 40' hangar - On this Diamond forum I won't list all the things you get in a Cirrus that you don't get in almost any other plane. If you have confidence in the future of avgas the SR22 is far and way the most value for your airplane dollar.

One member here had a Cirrus with many mechanical issues and switched to a DA42. My experience was more typical with overall good reliability. It was nice to have three service centers within a hundred miles.

I suspect the DA62 would compare more favorably to the SR22. Cirrus should worry if Diamond adds Autoland to the DA62. Diamond should worry if Cirrus adds a diesel option.

Last weekend we took a flight and it struck me yet again how wonderful it was to fly through the air at great speeds and to travel long distances in a short period of time. The differences between any two planes is small in comparison.

For now I'm having fun playing with the DA42, raising and lowering the gear like a big boy, enjoying the ramp attention.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I've sold multiple new DA62s to Cirrus owners, but one in particular stands out:

This owner (who was on his 2nd Cirrus SR22) was flying in cruise over South Carolina (?) when his engine unexpectedly quit. He thought he could glide to an airport for landing, but realized he wasn't going to make it and wisely pulled the 'chute.

Unfortunately with no control over the parachute descent, the Cirrus landed in the tree-tops. It then fell out of the trees and hit the ground. The pilot and 2 rear seat passengers walked away unharmed, but his wife in the front seat broke multiple ribs from the fall out of the trees.

This pilot decided he preferred the safety of 2 engines over having a Cirrus parachute, and so traded in his (other) SR22 for a new DA62.

To answer the first question, we have a little over 400 hours in our DA62, but my pilot wife got to log most of them since she always gets left seat when we fly together. :)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

CFIDave wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:54 pm she always gets left seat when we fly together.
Strange... it’s opposite to old saying “men are always left because women are always right” :)