4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

DA62/42-VI dry lease?

Post by MackAttack »

I'm considering the possibility of dry leasing a 62 or 42-VI to get my multi and also build some multi time, in anticipation of a potential transition to a twin turboprop or turbojet. Probably 50-100 hours on the lease. Early stages of planning but wanted to ask this group if (a) you guys think I'm nuts (*laughing*), (b) whether you think it's feasible to make such an arrangement and (c) what you think it might cost.

I'm also considering possibly doing this with a Tecnam P2006 because I'm a fan of the Rotax engines and flew a Tecnam LSA. That would undoubtedly be cheaper, but I think the Diamonds would be more comfortable and more similar to what I'm considering in the transition.

Definitely open to suggestions and thanks in advance!

Joel
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: DA62/42-VI dry lease?

Post by CFIDave »

What you're asking about a dry lease isn't nuts -- we (at LifeStyle) have been leasing DA40s and DA42s, although the aircraft tend to be older DA42s rather than newer "dash six" (DA42-VI) models that are fewer in number. I doubt you'll be able to find a DA62 to dry lease -- they're still too nice and new. :)

You'll have to commit to a minimum amount of time to make it worthwhile to a lessor (e.g., at least 3 months, and at least 20 hours/month use).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by MackAttack »

Thanks, Dave - the commitment isn't a problem. I was thinking 3-6 months and 50-100 hours total. However, I would prefer a newer model if possible. I appreciate the response. And I may reach out to you guys directly about this. I assume you also offer the training/rating as a standalone service?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

MackAttack wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:22 pm Thanks, Dave - the commitment isn't a problem. I was thinking 3-6 months and 50-100 hours total. However, I would prefer a newer model if possible. I appreciate the response. And I may reach out to you guys directly about this. I assume you also offer the training/rating as a standalone service?
Transition training is typically included as part of our Diamond aircraft delivery process, but you'll need to find a flight school or other CFI to train towards getting a rating, obtain a Flight Review, IPC, etc.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
rdrobson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Registration: N84LT
Airports: KFAR

Post by rdrobson »

CFIDave wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:55 pmbut you'll need to find a flight school or other CFI to train towards getting a rating, obtain a Flight Review, IPC, etc.
And don't forget the DPE. When I looked into this a couple of years ago that was the limiting factor. There weren't too many CFI's with the necessary time in a 62, but there were very few DPE's if any at that time. Not sure what the situation is now. Different situation if you're using a 42 for the MEI rating.

--Ron
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by MackAttack »

Thanks for the feedback guys!
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

I undertook my DA62 IRA at Angel City Flyers KLGB where there are a number of DPE’s checked out on the DA62. I would also highly recommend their CFI Cary Jones.

Good luck.

Nigel
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

Possibly a minor point, but an advantage to leasing a DA42-VI is that FADEC engine management makes it jet engine simple. No need to learn what that gaggle of 6 levers on a Baron/Seminole/Seneca does, nor how to manage and tweak. With Austro engines, you simply choose a load setting on a single lever per engine between 2 and 100%, and the EECU systems take care of the rest, to include monitoring and reporting anomalies. If your ultimate goal is to fly turboprops or turbojets and are looking for a transition, there is no better choice than a DA42-VI.

I upgraded from my DA42-VI to a DA62 to gain more space, comfort, speed, range, and hauling capacity, and personally have no intention to upgrade beyond it because the next step up in any of those metrics would gain little performance at a purchase cost of at least double, and operational costs in the order of 5X.

The DA62 rests comfortably in the sweet spot of modern general aviation hardware. Suggest you consider it as your final choice of aircraft if it meets your mission needs.

By the way - I've flown kazillions of aircraft from the Grumman AA5 to the Boeing 777, and the DA62 is far and away the easiest aircraft that I have ever flown.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by MackAttack »

You have put your fingers on exactly why I'm interested in getting the multi in one of those aircraft ... :)