1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jason
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62NN
Airports: KTYQ

Re: GDL69A/Sirius Saga

Post by neptune2528 »

Now that I have rested from all of the phone calls in trying to get this working, I think I am going to try to switch back to All Access and see if the 1000 can handle the channel count. I should be able to get around to it in the next week or so. I will report back what I find. Who knows, maybe something just got fouled up in memory while I was getting the account set up and all that was required was the hard reset. Either way, I will get to the bottom of it and be sure to post the final results here. Stay tuned!
neptune2528
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jason
Aircraft Registration: N62NN
Airports: KTYQ

Post by neptune2528 »

So I made it back up to the airport yesterday afternoon to definitively test what was going on here. Here are my steps and findings:
1) ACTION: Changed Sirius subscription to All Access and sent refresh signal.
1) FINDING: The channel lineup shown under "All Categories" on the MFD was displayed but DID NOT change to show new channels from the All Access subscription.

2) ACTION: Did a hard reset/cleared user data on the PFD/MFD.
2) FINDING: When loading back up the Sirius view on the MFD, the channels WERE NOT displayed on the "All Categories" view...however, I did confirm the new channels were indeed available when using a different category (I used the Sports category, as the difference between Sirius Select and All Access is mostly in sports channels). So the net here was all channels were available, but the All Categories view was blank.

3) ACTION: Changed Sirius subscription back to Sirius Select and sent refresh signal.
3) FINDING: The channel lineup did not change and "All Categories" was still blank.

4) ACTION: Did a hard reset/cleared user data on the PFD/MFD.
4) FINDING: The channel lineup on the MFD changed back to Sirius Select and the All Categories view was working again.

So the net result is that I do believe there is an issue with the G1000 displaying the number of channels available on the All Access package, but only in the All Categories view where all channels are displayed. This would strongly indicate there is some upper boundary on the number of channels that our MFDs can display.

It is also interesting that I think the G1000 has a user data clear issue. Simply sending a refresh signal appears to not clear the channel lineup and reload it; a hard reset was required each time I changed the Sirius package to get the MFD to show the proper subscription. Maybe there is an easier way to clear the Sirius channel lineup without a hard reset?

So that is the end of the story here. I will give Garmin a call and report the issue as they requested when mentioning the same problem with the G3000 and will also let Diamond support know in case somebody else runs across the issue.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I think you've just proved that the 3-year old DA62 G1000 NXi Phase I software 1373.02 -- that was written before "All Access" SXM radio service even existed -- needs to be updated to show all of the new channels in the "All Categories" list. At least you can still access these additional channels via specialized categories like Sports.

Ironically Diamond Canada is advertising that you can get 3 months of All Access for free when buying a new Diamond aircraft equipped with the GDL69A SXM unit. It would be interesting for DA40NG and DA42-VI G1000 NXi owners with GDL69A SXM units to report whether they have the same problem -- particularly since newer NXi Phase II hardware/software now exists for these aircraft. But there aren't many of these aircraft because fewer new owners are purchasing GDL69A SXM units anymore -- because of the availability of free GTX345R ADS-B In weather in the US.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

You can get 3 months off All Access for free. That's true. They didn't say you'd be able to listen to it IN THE PLANE, did they?
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Jroseund
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jonathan
Aircraft Registration: N526AE
Airports: KBFF

Post by Jroseund »

Was the All Access snafu with Diamond fixed with the NXi Phase 2 or possibly with phase 3 coming out?