5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: DA62 NXi Pending Approvals

Post by CFIDave »

Another observation from installing the GTX345R in the DA62: Even though I've yet to get my FlightStream 510 wireless card working properly (see post above), it *IS* possible to get my iPad and iPhone in the front seats of the DA62 to pair using Bluetooth with the GTX345R located in the nose avionics bay.

So for the first time, I can now get ADS-B IN weather and traffic on my iPad running Foreflight without needing an external Stratus box sitting on the glare shield. And Garmin Pilot on my iPad also recognizes the GTX345R for ADS-B IN weather and traffic. Both of these iPad apps will also display synthetic vision on the iPad using AHRS position information received wirelessly from the GTX345R.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

This is great news! I hope I can get the software update and the 345R soon as well!

What about the missing features on the G1000Nxi. Are any of them now included? Like SurfaceWatch, Visual Approaches, Checklists...

Regards,
Jan
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Sadly all of the "missing" NXi features you mentioned aren't included in NXi Phase I new .03 software that I just installed in my plane, nor are they included in NXi Phase II for the DA62 (nor in Phase II for the DA40NG or DA42-VI).

But Diamond may certify these missing features in future NXi Phase II software upgrades. We (the DAN owners representatives) are currently in the process of working with Diamond to help them determine future software and certification efforts.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by jast »

Thanks! Too bad they didn’t use this as a chance to activate those features. Especially checklists seem to be easy. They are working with the G1000 legacy even in DA40. Also visual approaches should already be „certified“ with other aircrafts and have no hardware dependency as far as I know. This might be different for SurfaceWatch, but even there it seems more like a software feature.

Is there any practical difference right now between the phase I and phase II software? We likely have to come to a decision if we upgrade to phase II or not...
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

jast wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:06 pm Thanks! Too bad they didn’t use this as a chance to activate those features. Especially checklists seem to be easy. They are working with the G1000 legacy even in DA40. Also visual approaches should already be „certified“ with other aircrafts and have no hardware dependency as far as I know. This might be different for SurfaceWatch, but even there it seems more like a software feature.

Is there any practical difference right now between the phase I and phase II software? We likely have to come to a decision if we upgrade to phase II or not...
A few things are particularly frustrating about this:

1) Every time my panel boots up, it reports two database errors, no checklists, and no Flite charts (Garmin subscription approach plates). Even when I did have a subscription to Garmin's overpriced and poorly presented approach plates, the panel still gave me a database error for no checklists. No fun explaining to CFII's and a DPE that those "errors" weren't really errors and that the DBs were current.

2) Surface Watch and Visual Approaches are both strictly software and were released with NXi for Cirrus (aka Perspective Plus) three years ago.

3) The 345R data, whether directly from from the box or from the GMA1360, will send data weather data to ForeFlight on your iPad that the Phase II software will not display on your MFD.

In terms of functionality, Diamond seems to have muddied the definition of Phase I and Phase II between aircraft models. Dave expects the FS510 to work with Phase I on the DA62, whereas for the DA40NG it was not supported until Phase II. In any case, the FS510 is a joy. Just touch a button on your iPad and transfer your plan to the panel (or vice versus). Of course that was also available in Perspective Plus three years ago.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

The only major difference now between Phase I vs. Phase II is the new audio panel (GMA1360 replaces GMA1347) to provide 3D audio and Bluetooth. Very minor differences are animation of NEXRAD weather on the MFD, and split-screen MFD for simultaneous display of charts and flight plans.

But in the future Diamond may decide to provide software upgrades for NXi Phase II hardware only, not for Phase I. So you may need to factor that into your upgrade decisions.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Boatguy wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:38 pm 1) Every time my panel boots up, it reports two database errors, no checklists, and no Flite charts (Garmin subscription approach plates). Even when I did have a subscription to Garmin's overpriced and poorly presented approach plates, the panel still gave me a database error for no checklists. No fun explaining to CFII's and a DPE that those "errors" weren't really errors and that the DBs were current.
For database sync errors, check your SDCards (the FS510 card in the MFD bottom slot, and any SDcard in the MFD top slot you might be using for flight logging) for old database files that shouldn't be there. All database files located on the bottom SDcard should match the "Active" versions (or "Standby" version if before the effective date) as shown on the Aux - Databases page. I kept getting a database sync error until I found and removed an old database file accidentally located on my top MFD card.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

CFIDave wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:02 pm
Boatguy wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:38 pm 1) Every time my panel boots up, it reports two database errors, no checklists, and no Flite charts (Garmin subscription approach plates). Even when I did have a subscription to Garmin's overpriced and poorly presented approach plates, the panel still gave me a database error for no checklists. No fun explaining to CFII's and a DPE that those "errors" weren't really errors and that the DBs were current.
For database sync errors, check your SDCards (the FS510 card in the MFD bottom slot, and any SDcard in the MFD top slot you might be using for flight logging) for old database files that shouldn't be there. All database files located on the cards should match the "Active" versions (or "Standby" version if before the effective date) as shown on the Aux - Databases page. I kept getting a database sync error until I found and removed an old database file accidentally located on my top MFD card.
I update my databases wirelessly from Garmin Pilot (a Phase II feature) and not SD cards. My top SD card with the engine log is replaced with a freshly formatted card every 28 days (I transfer the prior month's engine data to a folder at home and upload to CirrusReports).

It's not a database "sync" error, it's reported as a "problem" with two databases. The second showed up when my Flite Charts subscription expired. Even after I erased all databases last week and loaded the current databases (thus no out of date Flite Chart database in the GDU and for at least the next month no "Standby" databases), the "problem" continues to be reported.

The Database page shows that both Flite Charts and Checklists are "Missing".

I know that you also don't subscribe to Flite Charts and I assume you don't have Checklists so what's interesting is that your NXi system is not reporting errors.
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by jast »

:<
CFIDave wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:44 pm Very minor differences are animation of NEXRAD weather on the MFD, and split-screen MFD for simultaneous display of charts and flight plans.
This again seems to be so arbitrary! Split screen and Nexrad are pure software features! As some intern just forgot to activate it at the right time in the process 🤮🤬
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Not to make an editorial comment, but not to have visual approaches and Surface Watch (and even split screen) on an NXi-equipped aircraft that costs 1.4 mm new is, well ... hard to fathom. Same for the other Diamonds - all those aircraft are big investments for owner-pilots. As for checklists, I just got them in a software update for my M600 G3000 system. I'm not sure why those took so long but they did for some reason. So there may be a little more going on here for certification of these software-only features.