5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: DA62 NXi Pending Approvals

Post by CFIDave »

MackAttack wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:37 pm Not to make an editorial comment, but not to have visual approaches and Surface Watch (and even split screen) on an NXi-equipped aircraft that costs 1.4 mm new is, well ... hard to fathom. Same for the other Diamonds - all those aircraft are big investments for owner-pilots. As for checklists, I just got them in a software update for my M600 G3000 system. I'm not sure why those took so long but they did for some reason. So there may be a little more going on here for certification of these software-only features.
Not to defend Diamond, but Garmin transitioned from Legacy G1000 to NXi just as the aircraft type certificates for the DA40 and DA62 were being migrated from Wiener Neustadt, Austria to London, Ontario, Canada. Then Diamond had to deal with Transport Canada as the primary certification authority for these aircraft, and Transport Canada requires an extensive re-certification effort every time new software is released.

This is what happens when the glass cockpit flight deck is (too) closely incorporated into the Type Certificate (TC) of the aircraft. Owners can't change panel hardware or software without approval of the airframe manufacturer since the airframe OEM holds the TC. And the airframe OEM can't change the flight deck hardware or software "design" without certification approval from regulators.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Hm... things like checklist are so trivial that I can’t believe any kind of certification is required when added to SW.
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

ememic99 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:04 am Hm... things like checklist are so trivial that I can’t believe any kind of certification is required when added to SW.
There is for sure certification required. But Garmin has certification evidence for this feature from other aircrafts. Once it is done for Cirrus, Cessna, Piper or others it should be relatively easy for Diamond. So honestly I also don’t get it and as customer I will continue to complain about this.
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

The key may lie in this quote
Transport Canada requires an extensive re-certification effort every time new software is released
Cirrus, Cessna and Piper type certifications are governed by the FAA, which of late has changed the rules for avionics in general for the better.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

jast wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:25 am
ememic99 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:04 am Hm... things like checklist are so trivial that I can’t believe any kind of certification is required when added to SW.
There is for sure certification required. But Garmin has certification evidence for this feature from other aircrafts. Once it is done for Cirrus, Cessna, Piper or others it should be relatively easy for Diamond. So honestly I also don’t get it and as customer I will continue to complain about this.
Garmin doesn't do the certification; the airframe manufacturer (Diamond) as TC holder does it.

Being US-based, Cirrus, Cessna, and Piper get their G1000s certified by the FAA, not Transport Canada -- a very different regulator. Since the DA42 TC remains in Weiner Neustadt, Austria, Diamond works with EASA for DA42 certification (this will also apply to the DA50 being certified in Weiner Neustadt).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Murray Sissons wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:15 pm When I installed a GTX-345R w WAAS in a DA-40, the TAS-600 has to be rewired to the GTX-345R w WAAS.
It acts like a server and correlates the traffic returns, so you don’t get double targets (one from ads-b and another from the TAS).

Murray
Murray, it turns out that you were correct: Re-wiring is needed to get the TAS605 to work with the GTX-345R, even with G1000 NXi. The reason why my DA62's TAS unit no longer works with the GTX345R is because it lacks this re-wiring:
1. The ARINC 429 connection previously used by the TAS605 to send traffic into to the 2nd GIA63W must be disconnected.
2. The audio connection previously used by the TAS605 to send traffic warning audio messages to the GMA1347 audio panel must also be disconnected.
3. A new RS-232 connection must be made from the TAS605 to the GTX345R so that the GTX345R can receive TAS605 traffic info and correlate target information. All audio traffic warning messages will now originate from the GTX345R.

This re-wiring for the TAS605 is *IN ADDITION* to other new wiring required for installation of the GTX345R.

Details of this TAS unit re-wiring (and related G1000 NXi software reconfiguration) is included in the forthcoming GTX-345R installation service bulletin OSB 62-033 to be published shortly.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

I also received similar information yesterday and service bulletins are imminent.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Anything that uses RS232 should be considered an antique. Ethernet chips are foolishly cheap and the plane should have a secure LAN connecting stuff. How frustrating.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

If you've been reading this thread where I've noted that I couldn't get my FlightStream 510 card to work properly with the new .03 software release for DA62 G1000 NXi Phase I -- it now works, but the work-around is crazy!

When I inserted my FlightStream card into my G1000 NXi Phase I panel running new software version .03, here's what showed up on the new MFD Connext Setup page added to the Aux page group:
IMG_4764.jpeg
Note that the panel recognizes my FlightStream 510 SDcard inserted into the bottom MFD slot, but Bluetooth Pairing Mode is unfortunately "Disabled" and can't be changed. It turns out there's a serious bug in the Garmin .03 NXi software for the DA62 that disables initial pairing of Bluetooth devices with the 510 card.

In Diamond's forthcoming Work Instructions for Service Bulletin OSB 62-034 for installation of the FlightStream 510, a process is described for enabling the 510 option in DA62s that have already had software .03 installed. For my DA62, the FlightStream 510 option was already selected and added when software version .03 and my GTX345R were initially installed -- the most likely case for existing DA62 NXi owners who are upgrading their software from version .02 to .03 to add a GTX345R.

Diamond's Work Instructions for getting the 510 card installed specify that a "Bluetooth Paired PED (Loaner)" is required. PED = Personal Electronic Device. What is this PED? Here's what the factory has been doing as a workaround to Garmin's software bug:

1. Place the 510 card into any Diamond aircraft with NXi Phase II installed (which doesn't have this software bug).
2. Pair the 510 with an old iPhone -- this iPhone becomes the "Bluetooth Paired PED (Loaner)." You don't even have to run Foreflight or Garmin Pilot, simply use iOS Settings to pair the iPhone with the 510.
3. Remove the 510 card and place it into the DA62 NXi Phase I with the buggy .03 software and power up the DA62's avionics.
4. On the MFD Connext Setup page the old iPhone will now magically appear as being paired with he FS510 card, the Bluetooth Pairing Mode will now be "Enabled," and the "Bluetooth Name" of the old iPhone will be displayed.
5. At this point it's then possible to pair additional devices with the FS510 card, including an iPad. The old iPhone "Bluetooth Paired PED (Loaner)" can even be removed from your pairing list, and other devices will pair with the 510 normally.

Unfortunately there aren't any new Diamond aircraft with G1000 NXi Phase II located at my home airport, so I couldn't follow steps 1 and 2. Being creative, I substituted a friend's King Air C90 with a Garmin GTN750 unit installed, and used it to pair my FlightStream 510 card with my iPhone. I then took my iPhone and FS510 card back to my hangar and stuck the 510 card into my DA62: Bluetooth pairing with my iPhone "Bluetooth Paired PED" is now "Enabled" and everything now works properly.
IMG_4779.jpeg
I was then able to pair an iPad with the FS510, and it works great with both Foreflight and Garmin Pilot.

So for those of you getting ready to install new DA62 NXi Phase I software version .03, find a friend at your airport with a Garmin GTN750, GTN650, or other Garmin avionics unit that already supports the FlightStream 510 wireless SDcard. You can then follow the same procedure outlined above.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »