5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Looking to purchase DA62

Post by Colin »

Another $45 per hour for your engine reserve. Got it.

I suspect if I get a DA62 it will be 150hrs a year. So I'd be good for six years before I had to consider that debate.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Gordon
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gordon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: VHTZI
Airports: YBNA

Post by Gordon »

David, Good info - thanks. Perhaps these figures for the 900hr make Piston Power's, "power by the hour" rates look more attractive as an option for owners?
I'm looking at a 62 with 400hrs on it at the moment.
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

David, were the cylinder heads and fuel injectors the bulk of the 900 hour items?
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Holy Moly: 36 K for the 900 hour kits (plus manpower?)
What is it that justifies paying so much money for this aircraft knowing that operating costs are also high?
What makes it so desirable? Is it the nice and roomy interior? I really can't see what else versus say a JetProp.
I am really curious: 1'000 AMU is a lot of money and I was not expecting many private owners to take the plunge.
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Sounds worse than a Continental.
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

Davestation wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:15 pm
They had quickly realized that the sum of the parts would make owners start saying, “ I might as well just buy a complete overhauled engine” so they did come up with a 900hr kit, which was close to $18k per engine.
What parts did the exchange? I heard something about flywheel, timing chain, high pressure pump and fuel injectors...which could add up to this pricing. But no cylinder head, is this correct?
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Post by Davestation »

Gordon wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:28 am David, Good info - thanks. Perhaps these figures for the 900hr make Piston Power's, "power by the hour" rates look more attractive as an option for owners?
I'm looking at a 62 with 400hrs on it at the moment.

IMO the one and only reason for any warranty/insurance program is peace of mind. They're going to factor in the baseline cost of ownership, and then add cost of insurance on top of that. You have to figure out what the latter dollar amount is and then decide if it's worth it to you.

neema wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:17 am David, were the cylinder heads and fuel injectors the bulk of the 900 hour items?

The head is the big ticket item. The injectors offer no extra labor since they come off with the head regardless.

Antoine wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:05 pm Holy Moly: 36 K for the 900 hour kits (plus manpower?)
What is it that justifies paying so much money for this aircraft knowing that operating costs are also high?
What makes it so desirable? Is it the nice and roomy interior? I really can't see what else versus say a JetProp.
I am really curious: 1'000 AMU is a lot of money and I was not expecting many private owners to take the plunge.
From a purely fiscal standpoint, I'd say the simple answer is fuel burn. If you merge the fuel savings with the mx costs you may still come out ahead of comparable aircraft.

The jetprop is a very different animal - given the overhaul interval is double that of the DA62, the cost is what, $250k? The HSI can be anywhere from $10k to $50k, so you're coming up on the price of the diamond overhaul at the same hours. The jetprop will burn as much fuel at idle as the DA62 does at 100%, of course it goes twice as fast... apples and oranges I suppose.

jast wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:13 pm
Davestation wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:15 pm
They had quickly realized that the sum of the parts would make owners start saying, “ I might as well just buy a complete overhauled engine” so they did come up with a 900hr kit, which was close to $18k per engine.
What parts did the exchange? I heard something about flywheel, timing chain, high pressure pump and fuel injectors...which could add up to this pricing. But no cylinder head, is this correct?
Cylinder head, timing chain, injectors, and gearbox. The flywheel and HPP are 600hr items.