Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
FIRST NAME: Shaggy
Aircraft: DA40

Re: Simulator for a DA62

Post by gordsh » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:22 pm

Wayne thanks for sharing. I am planning to build a SIM for when I start IFR training. VR is very interesting. I tried a VR headset once and was amazed on how immersive it is.
oconnellpe2599
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
FIRST NAME: David
Airport: KGRR Y70

Post by oconnellpe2599 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:43 pm

I have been using a G1000 simulator that I designed and built over the last three years. I use it to practice approaches and low IFR flying before scheduled flights. It keeps me relatively sharp and current in using the G1000 functions and menus. Good luck!

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5083#p57460
jprhode
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
FIRST NAME: Jason
Aircraft: DA62
Airport: KAUS

Post by jprhode » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:42 pm

There’s a very nice X-plane model for the DA62 available. And, it takes a little tinkering but it can be made to work with the Simionic iPad app for the MFD and PFD. Simionic also makes G1000 hardware bezels -you drop the iPads into the bezel, so then you have all the physical knobs and buttons. Simionic really doesn’t have anything modeled that is close to the DA62, so you have to look at the X-Plane G1000 to see engine parameters etc, but loading and flying approaches and all the instrument stuff worked really well.

Slightly off topic but this also worked really well with the DA40 when I did the instrument rating.
Scotsman58
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
FIRST NAME: John
Airport: KBDR

Post by Scotsman58 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:43 pm

I have X-Plane and the DA62 model, and agree that it is very nice. However, a consideration that I now have in mind is that the FAA's IFR currency regulation was changed this summer to allow currency approaches to be logged on approved sims without the presence of an instructor. The sim has to be at least a "BATD" (basic aviation training device") that has been approved by the FAA in a letter to the manufacturer (so a do-it-yourself X-Plane set up won't cut it). The cheapest BATD I have been able to find so far is the Touchtrainer from flythissim.com, at around $5,400. I would prefer not to spend that money on another computer (the one I am running X-Plane on is a fairly new high performance rig), but it would be the only way I can see to enable me to log currency approaches.

Before anyone flames me -- no, I don't think one can stay IFR proficient on a BATD. While I don't get to do too many approaches in actual IMC, I go up about once a quarter with my instructor and do some approaches under the hood (and always hand fly them). But if I were coming up on a currency deadline and were one or two approaches short of the required six, it would certainly be nice to be able to do them on a sim at home.

Also, I think a decent sim might permit practicing some emergency scenarios that one wouldn't attempt in the plane.

Anybody have anything to say about the Touchtrainer (or any other approved BATD)?