4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Re: New DA 62 Owners

Post by photoSteveZ »

Hi, everyone! I’ve been lurking on the forums here, learning everything I can about the real-world experience you DA62 owners have had with your birds, since traveling to Ontario for a demo flight in 2017. At long last, we pulled the trigger on a used 2019 model, 62.093, and will take delivery in January. We’re moving up from an A36 Bonanza, and finally putting to use that AMEL I earned in 2006.

I’ve been putting in the time in the simulator learning the G1000 and DA62 systems. It seems like such a well-thought-out design, much simpler in a lot of ways than the Bonanza.

I am super excited.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by photoSteveZ »

Hi, everyone, from a long time lurker and first time Diamond buyer: I just signed a contract on a used 2019 DA62, three-and-a-half years after visiting the factory in London for a demo flight. I’m moving up from a 1980 A36 Bonanza, a really great airplane. But the 62 has so many advantages/advances, and I expect it to support some great flying adventures, as well as more frequent trips to visit grandkids in the Bay Area and the Pacific Northwest.

Color me excited.
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

Congratulations Steve !

A great decision and wishing you many hours of fabulous flying 👏👏👏
Jitters79
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bill
Aircraft Registration: 62177
Airports: Kbfi

Post by Jitters79 »

Pulled the trigger to buy a new DA62. I think we went with all the typical options, including the overly expensive keypad. Went with the Atomic (or as Diamond likes to call it Sunset) Orange for exterior.

Question though for the existing owners, of the cycling variety, both mountain bike and road bike, how easy it is to remove the third row of seats to put bikes in?

Super excited to take delivery of it sometime in q2 2021.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by photoSteveZ »

Jitters79 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:10 pm Pulled the trigger to buy a new DA62. I think we went with all the typical options, including the overly expensive keypad. Went with the Atomic (or as Diamond likes to call it Sunset) Orange for exterior.

Question though for the existing owners, of the cycling variety, both mountain bike and road bike, how easy it is to remove the third row of seats to put bikes in?

Super excited to take delivery of it sometime in q2 2021.
The way it’s been explained to me (and I speak under correction) is that removing or reinstalling the third row seats is a maintenance item requiring a logbook entry and updated W&B. Plus you need the cargo tray option if the seats are out.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Jitters79 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:10 pmthough for the existing owners, of the cycling variety, both mountain bike and road bike, how easy it is to remove the third row of seats to put bikes in?
You don't want to try removing the 3rd row of seats for bikes.

Not only do you need a licensed mechanic to remove the seats, but to be legal you need to pay another $8K or so for the "kit' from Diamond that includes a new cargo compartment floor that takes the place of the removed seats (converting the plane to a 5-seater).

In my experience, all you need to do is fold down flat both rows of seats, add in some blankets for protection, and then lay 2 road bikes (without removing any of the bike wheels) on top -- they'll fit just fine. The DA62 is a great plane for 2 people to add full-size bicycles to go for a day trip biking somewhere. We've done this multiple times to the beach (e.g., KWWD to Cape May, NJ) or to MD's Eastern Shore for fresh crabs/seafood (e.g., at Cambridge). (In contrast, it's more convenient to take foldable bicycles in a DA40/DA42.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

And here I am in my lowly bike hauler that requires a wheel removed!

62 would be awesome for the space in the back
genmort
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N298P
Airports:

Post by genmort »

Hi all,

As a fairly low-time pilot, I was wondering if any of you got your DA62's with <300 hrs total time and what kind of numbers you have for insurance (requirements and cost). The company I called said they likely wouldn't even offer a policy with my current #'s and recommended >500 hrs, CPL, IR, >100 hrs complex, MEL, minimum.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

genmort wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:51 pm Hi all,

As a fairly low-time pilot, I was wondering if any of you got your DA62's with <300 hrs total time and what kind of numbers you have for insurance (requirements and cost). The company I called said they likely wouldn't even offer a policy with my current #'s and recommended >500 hrs, CPL, IR, >100 hrs complex, MEL, minimum.
Don't take my reply as too much relevant regarding the insurance because that part of the question is US related (I'm Europe based) but your flying experience is sufficient to start ME training and fly DA62. However, if you compare increased insurance before getting experience with expenses of renting to get the experience, I'm sure you'll find out that it's cheaper to pay more expensive insurance than to rent.
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

genmort wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:51 pm Hi all,

Find out if your broker has access to all carriers. Not all do. There are less than 10 of them these days. I was in a similar position years ago. The insurance market was very different then, but I ended up with two quotes that let me choose between more mentor time and a lower premium vs higher premium and lower time requirements.

I came from mostly 182 experience. Didn’t have my ME ticket at the time (got it in the plane).