2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dean
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N801VA
Airports: SPI

Re: New DA 62 Owners

Post by Deanrobert »

jprhode wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:20 am John - there aren’t enough superlatives to do it justice!
Jason: I’m currently a da-42ng driver, looking at the 62 and the tbm 700 C2: looks like you have transitioned from the former to the latter.. I’ve been hesitant with the tbm because of Mx costs, however the more i understand about the austro engine Mx and my past two 17 k annuals , and next years 900 hr engine event, I’m wondering if the tbm would be that much more than the diamond .. Also my missions ate approx 850 miles - telluride is one of them - I’m in Springfield il
Curious about your transition ..
Thx
Dean Robert
Deanrobert
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dean
Aircraft Registration: N801VA
Airports: SPI

Post by Deanrobert »

Well, i bit the 62 bullet. Bought a beauty 2017 from Chris Bird in SLC; did my checkout out of telluride airport.. so similar to flying the 42... but oh so much better..
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Deanrobert wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:02 pm Well, i bit the 62 bullet. Bought a beauty 2017 from Chris Bird in SLC; did my checkout out of telluride airport.. so similar to flying the 42... but oh so much better..
Since you've owned both, I'd be interested in hearing more about what you think makes the 62 so much better. Is it just because you can haul more people/stuff or does it fly better as well? My one brief flight behind the controls of a DA42 seemed to be nice and stable (compared to the DA40). I assume the 62 would be even moreso. But on paper, at least, the DA42-VI looks like a better performer unless you're hauling a lot. I believe yours was a DA42-NG so maybe that's part of the difference as well, although they seem super capable even without the -VI mods.

Congrats on the upgrade!
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I have flown both although the DA62 only for a short flight out to Catalina from Long Beach. It is an entirely different airplane. I don't know how they got away with the same type certificate. It is a luxury vehicle like the Cirrus Vision Jet, not a polished up trainer like the DA40 and DA42.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Colin,

Is the difference in flying controls? Or the fit/finish?

Tim
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

As someone who owned (and maintained) a DA42-VI for 4 years, and now owns a DA62 for 3.5 years (and sells both), here's how they compare:

- The performance is nearly identical. My DA42-VI (pre-100 kg weight increase) maybe climbed about 100 fpm better than the DA62 because it was much lighter: 1900 kg vs. 2300 kg max gross weight. However newer DA42-VIs with a higher 1999 kg max gross weight perform the same as a DA62 when loaded. With either plane you'll see 1000 fpm climbs all the way into the teens. It's about a 5 minute checkout in a DA62 if you've flown a DA42-VI because they fly so similarly.

- The DA62 burns 1 gph more per side in cruise (15 gph vs. 13 gph total). But the DA62 has bigger auxiliary fuel tanks (18 gal vs. 13 gal each on the DA42), so the range is very similar.

- The DA62 has about 300 lbs more payload when equipped the same as a DA42-VI. Think of the DA42-VI as a 3-person airplane, whereas the DA62 will comfortably carry 4-5 people and their stuff. If you want to take another couple along in a DA62, you don't usually need to ask what they weigh. :)

- The DA62 is easier to work on, because the avionics and mechanical systems (essentially identical to the DA42-VI) are more readily accessible. Moving the G1000 avionics bay and gear hydraulic system to the DA62 nose is a big improvement vs. the DA42-VI with everything crammed into the back fuselage, especially with air conditioning. Replacing the battery is easier on the DA62 because you don't have to remove the TKS fluid tank to get to it.

- The DA42-VI has a strip of plastic "speed tape" on each side of the rudder hinge that repeatedly cracked and broke off in flight (not needed on the DA62). The DA42-VI (like all DA42s) has a stick limiter that has to be pre-flight checked; the DA62 doesn't have or need one.

- The DA62 interior is big enough for 300+ lb and/or 6' 8" pilots that won't comfortably or otherwise fit in a DA42.

- Fit and finish are the same, especially now that the DA42-VI also can be painted multiple colors. Both aircraft share the same wings (except tips) and engine nacelles, and both are mostly constructed of carbon fiber (CFRP) with the same build processes.

Bottom line: If you're big/tall/heavy and or need to be able to carry 2 couples, get a DA62. Otherwise you'll be very happy with a DA42-VI.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

I've owned both aircraft, and have about 200 hrs in the DA42-VI and 100 hrs in the DA62. Fully agree with all that Dave said. Performance is pretty much identical. Even the AFM's state the same maximum cruise speed of 190 kTAS at max weight (16.8 lb/hr for the DA42-VI at 16k, 18.5 lb/hr for the DA62 at 14k).

One difference that is hard to grasp until you actually sit in both aircraft is the comfort gap. Most folks are crammed shoulder to shoulder in the DA42-VI with no armrests - the pilot can awkwardly raise his/her left arm to the canopy sill, while the right arm floats. The DA62 cabin is 8" wider, which is huge. It has a molded in left armrest and a dedicated center armrest, both positioned perfectly. I feel much more relaxed and alert after a couple hours flying in the DA62.

Ingress/egress is far easier in the DA62 as well. The thigh support hinges up so one can stand straight up and walk in, and there are excellent, well place handholds molded into the frame.
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

CFIDave wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:21 pm Replacing the battery is easier on the DA62 because you don't have to remove the TKS fluid tank to get to it.
Haha, that explains why I couldn't immediately find the battery in my new 42! Having had to replace a few batteries over the years, is the TKS tank in the 42 easy to remove?
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Soareyes wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:35 pm
CFIDave wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:21 pm Replacing the battery is easier on the DA62 because you don't have to remove the TKS fluid tank to get to it.
Haha, that explains why I couldn't immediately find the battery in my new 42! Having had to replace a few batteries over the years, is the TKS tank in the 42 easy to remove?
You have to drain the TKS system of fluid, then disconnect hoses and electrical connectors from the tank. While my DA42-VI had the TKS tank in the right side nose baggage compartment, some newer DA42-VI aircraft have it installed in the rear fuselage behind the rear baggage area to improve W&B. If so, then getting to the battery in the nose should be much easier.
Last edited by CFIDave on Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

I forgot to mention one other significant difference between the DA42 and DA62: the landing gear wheels and tires.

The DA62 has much bigger wheels and tires (the nose wheel is the same size as the mains) for landing on soft-field grass airstrips. But the downside is that it's much harder to maneuver during taxi turns -- it sometimes takes "standing on a rudder pedal" to get the DA62 to turn without using the brakes or differential engine thrust to turn. The DA62 feels like it needs "power steering." I always try to keep my nose wheel tire fully inflated to reduce steering effort.

In contrast, the DA42 is much easier to maneuver and turn via the rudder pedals. But it has a different issue: the DA42 wheels and tires are the same smaller size as those of a DA40 despite the DA42 weighing twice as much. Consequently if you apply the same brake force that you may be accustomed to applying in a DA40 to slow down on the runway to make the next turnoff, the DA42 will surprise you by locking up the wheels and flat-spotting the tires. Years ago when training for my multi-engine rating in a DA42 and demonstrating a short-field landing, I not only flat-spotted a tire - I blew one out. :shock: You'd have to work hard to ever flat-spot the much bigger tires of a DA62.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI