5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Re: I flew the DA62 today.

Post by ememic99 »

CFIDave wrote:The "sufficiency" of the DA62's single-engine climb rate is for you to decide, but it's worth comparing to other modern light twins.

A Baron/Seminole/Seneca twin when losing one engine will "drift down" to about 6000 feet before being able to level off, let alone climb. So at typical cruise altitudes, you're going to descend.

In contrast, the turbocharged Austro engines of the DA62 and DA42-VI allow these planes (depending on temperature) to climb to 13,000 and 18,000 feet respectfully -- since turbos allow these engines to maintain full power up to more than 10,000 feet.
You're right - it's just that I expected more comparing to my DA42 (Thielert 2.0).
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Anybody buy a DA62 lately, or contemplating? This thread has been dead for a long time.
oamir
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: ofer
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: 4XCXR
Airports: LLHZ

Post by oamir »

yes! the delivery is next week I will send some pics
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Tommy »

I would like to hear new owners experiences. I am somewhat surprised at the lack of input from the new owners.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Hey Tommy! Nice to see you. Can you PM me some news re the Aerostar? Don't want to hijack the thread...
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Tommy »

Antoine wrote:Hey Tommy! Nice to see you. Can you PM me some news re the Aerostar? Don't want to hijack the thread...
Sent.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Antoine wrote:Hey Tommy! Nice to see you. Can you PM me some news re the Aerostar? Don't want to hijack the thread...
Hi Tommy -

Actually, can you please post an update in 'Hangar Talk'? I suspect that a bunch of us are interested in your adventures.

Chris
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Tommy »

Chris B wrote:
Hi Tommy -

Actually, can you please post an update in 'Hangar Talk'? I suspect that a bunch of us are interested in your adventures.

Chris
Will do. Give me a little bit of time to pull things together.
gwroclaw
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: DELIVERY POSITION #9
Airports: KMMU

Post by gwroclaw »

CFIDave wrote:The "sufficiency" of the DA62's single-engine climb rate is for you to decide, but it's worth comparing to other modern light twins.

A Baron/Seminole/Seneca twin when losing one engine will "drift down" to about 6000 feet before being able to level off, let alone climb. So at typical cruise altitudes, you're going to descend.

In contrast, the turbocharged Austro engines of the DA62 and DA42-VI allow these planes (depending on temperature) to climb to 13,000 and 18,000 feet respectfully -- since turbos allow these engines to maintain full power up to more than 10,000 feet.
You are correct about the Baron and Seminole - the current ones are normally aspirated although back in the 80's there were turbocharged version of those two airplanes. The Baron has a SE ceiling of around 6K t but if my memory serves me correctly the Seminole has a SE ceiling of 3600ft and that is at ISA. On a hot day it will be lower.
The Seneca, however, has always been turbocharged since the Seneca II which came out in 1975. There were improvements made but Piper and Continental didn't do the turbocharging correctly till the Seneca V which came out in 1997. It has a certified ceiling of 25K ft and a SE ceiling of 12K ft.
Greg Wroclawski
PA-46 based at MMU
former D-Jet position #9
Wall-e
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wally
Aircraft Registration: N125HA
Airports: ARW

Post by Wall-e »

I flew the DA62 several weeks ago in Clearwater. Nice, comfortable cockpit with well laid out panel. I was disappointed that Diamond had removed the "engine instruments" page from the MFD. I use it every flight in my DA40. I also found that the stick is a little longer/taller than I like. Makes it difficult to rest your arm on your leg as you fly the plane. Performance was respectable but I would like to have seen counter rotating props. Out of my price range as well.
Wally
CFII