DA62 Technical Publications online

Post by DavidS »

http://support.diamond-air.at/da62+M52087573ab0.html

The whole deal: AFM, AMM, SB, SI.

Selected items I found interesting:
Vmc=70/76kias (flaps t/o, up)
Vno=162kias
Vle=Vne, at 205kias.

Less relevant in multi, but white arc: 64-119kias. (69 min in other configurations)

Empty mass: 1600kg
MTOM: 2000/2300kg

Everyone here hurry and buy them up so I can get a well taken care of one in ten years. :mrgreen:
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: DA62 Technical Publications online

Post by CFIDave »

Now that Diamond has published the DA62 manuals, it appears that DA62 mechanicals and systems are 98% the same as the DA42-VI. Anybody who can fly a DA42 NG or -VI with Austro engines should be able to transition to the DA62 almost instantly. A few differences I noticed:

- The DA62 has a separate "avionics bay" with its own external access panel on the right side of the nose. This will make it so much easier to get at the battery, the G1000 LRUs and other avionics compared to the DA42.

- The passenger door hinges appear to be much stronger than those on the DA40/DA42.

- The new bigger wheels with lower-pressure tires should make landings even smoother.

- The TKS system with a bigger fluid tank provides 50% more anti-icing time at various flow levels. (It's not yet FIKI certified, but I imagine that will come soon.)

- The built-in oxygen system has a 77 cu ft. O2 tank instead of the 50 cu. ft. tank built into our DA42.

- The performance of the DA62 is about 5 knots faster at lower altitudes where the DA62 engines are programmed to have more turbo boost than those of the DA42-VI. But above 12,000 feet both aircraft engines make the same power (they're turbocharger-limited), so at higher altitudes the DA42-VI may be just as fast or faster depending on the payload carried.

The DA62 engines are started with pushbuttons instead of using a key, so the DA62 should be easier to steal. ;)

Since the DA62 and DA42-VI are so similar electrically and mechanically, it means that there shouldn't be many bugs for Diamond to address in the newer aircraft.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

DavidS wrote: Vle=Vne, at 205kias.
Empty mass: 1600kg
MTOM: 2000/2300kg
Hmm ...mixed feeelings. Vne and Vle are great, but Empty mass and Euro MTOM are a disaster.
400 Kg useful load for such a machine is a BIG problem...
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Some other items I forgot to mention in my earlier post about DA42 vs. DA62 differences:

Unlike all DA42s, the DA62 doesn't require a stick limiter to reduce upward pitch at full throttle (where presumably bad things can happen aerodynamically if the plane has aft CG and is "hanging on the props."). This is one less item to test during preflight, and one less system to go wrong: My initial attempt to take a multi-engine checkride in a rented DA42 NG was thwarted by a "stick limiter fail" G1000 annunciation during the takeoff roll, requiring the takeoff (and the checkride) to be aborted.

Also, the DA62 AFM/POH recommends half flaps for a standard DA62 takeoff (just like a DA40). In contrast, Thielert DA42s are recommended to take off with no flaps, and for Austro DA42 NG and -VI models half flaps are only recommended for short-field (not standard) takeoffs.

So while the half flaps position is labelled "Approach" on the DA42, it's call "Takeoff (T/O)" on the DA62 (just like the DA40).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Henrik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Henrik
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports:

Post by Henrik »

Is the co-pilot control stick detachable on the DA62?

I seem to remember reading this being part of the basic design. However, I can't quite spot this feature in the AFM - did they remove it?

Also I remember seeing an AFM supplement for the DA42 detailing the installation of detachable control stick here as well.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Henrik wrote:Is the co-pilot control stick detachable on the DA62?

I seem to remember reading this being part of the basic design. However, I can't quite spot this feature in the AFM - did they remove it?

Also I remember seeing an AFM supplement for the DA42 detailing the installation of detachable control stick here as well.
There's an OAM published for the DA42 for removing a control stick, but so far I haven't been able to find something similar for the DA62 in the AFM or the AMM. I recall that the original DA50 (single engine fuselage from which the DA62 twin fuselage is derived) did include the ability to remove the right seat stick.

Also I found this:

"The DA 62 is equipped with an electrically operated variable elevator stop that limits the upward elevator deflection as soon as the power setting of both engines exceeds approx. 20% and the flaps are in LDG position. The variable elevator stop is controlled by two switches on the throttle quadrant (one for each power lever)."

But I didn't see a preflight test for this elevator limiter in the DA62 AFM/POH akin to the stick limiter preflight test for DA42s.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI