Taking the Dive: Purchasing a DA40

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

DA40Questions

Taking the Dive: Purchasing a DA40

Post by DA40Questions »

Friends,

I've been flying and renting a DA40 for quite some time now, and I think it's time for me to make the plunge and purchase one. I'm new to the aircraft ownership world, and would like some tips on purchasing the DA40. I'm in the Northern California area, and I'd like some feedback from DA40 owners on operating costs and some 'basic' items I should be aware of when looking for the right DA40. I play to fly it at least 500 hours per year, primarily for personal use and time building.

I have a good A&P who has DA40 experience on hand to assist in a pre-buy and also help keep the mx costs down. Are there any tips or feedback that anyone can offer me on DA40 ownership, especially when it comes down to operating costs? I have a great budget and want to keep about $10-20k in reserve just in case.

Any help and tips would be appreciated! Especially when it comes down to 2021 operating costs. :)

Can't wait to join the club!
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Re: Taking the Dive: Purchasing a DA40

Post by chili4way »

New or used? Lycoming or Austro? 500 hours/year is a lot. What is the distance/duration of your typical trip? VFR/IFR?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

It always comes down to your "mission," i.e., how do you intend to use the DA40? Typical trip length, how many passengers and bags, what type of terrain, do you need to be somewhere on time vs. recreational use on mostly blue sky days, do you need air conditioning, etc.?

Are you OK with a "beater" DA40 that's been used by a flight school? Or are you looking for a pristine plane that's your personal "pride and joy?" Is this a plane you want to own for a long time? Or is it just a stepping-stone to a higher-performance single or twin?

And what's your purchase budget? You can spend $500K+ on an Austro DA40NG, or as little as $150K for an older steam-gauge Lycoming.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

DA40's come in a lot of different configurations. The one(s) your familiar with probably presents a good baseline. If you're happy with your expreience you should probably focus on examples of that particular variant.

500 hours is ambitious. I applaud your realistic view of having substantial funds in ready reserve for unexpected expenses :thumbsup:
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Joe Ryan
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Joe
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N12345
Airports: KFCM

Post by Joe Ryan »

The DA40 is an awesome aircraft and with that amount of time per year you will become extremely familiar with your new aircraft quickly. That much time and future experience will be highly regarded by insurance underwriters. Make sure your insurance broker knows your hour goal so they can negotiate the best rates with underwriting based on that fact!
Mike A

Post by Mike A »

Where do you even go about finding a DA40?

Not a lot on market and the few I see are marked up a ways. Any tips?
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Not a lot on market and the few I see are marked up a ways.
You answered your own question. The supply is very tight allowing the sellers to raise prices and get the value out of their plane.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)