Interest in & Utility of Additional Forums

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Interest in & Utility of Additional Forums

Post by chili4way »

Curious to know what others think about the interest in and utility of adding some additional forums or categories to DAN that are focused on owners & operators of multiple Diamond Aircraft, e.g. Diamond-centric Flight Schools and Fleet Operators. I am wondering if there are topics that are somewhat specific to these groups which are not covered (or easy to find) in the current lists.

Diamond-Centric Flight Schools
  • Primary Instruction
  • Instrument Instruction
  • Commercial Instruction
  • Multiengine Instruction
  • Diamond Instruction Resources & References
Fleet & Commercial Operations & Maintenance
  • Fleet Operations
  • Part 135 Operators & Operations
  • Scheduled Maintenance & Parts
  • Unscheduled Maintenance & Parts
  • Fleet Resources & References
I know of at least six flight schools that fit this category: LIFT Academy, Blue Line Aviation, CTI, Angel City Flyers, Diamond Flight Center of Texas, Keilir Flight Academy (Iceland), and of course Diamond Austria Training. I don't have much visibility into other commercial fleet operations.

It's possible these groups are already sufficiently served with the existing structure. And perhaps there are other DAN Forums or Sub-Categories that come to mind.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Re: Interest in & Utility of Additional Forums

Post by dmloftus »

Dragonfly in Winder GA has a training/rental fleet of at least 8 Diamonds, I used to rent from them before I bought mine. I don't have a dog in the hunt, so I would defer to others on adding forums.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I think it would be great if they would participate. They have a wealth of experience that would benefit other owners.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Boatguy wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:20 am I think it would be great if they would participate. They have a wealth of experience that would benefit other owners.
I doubt any will join. It would require a dedicated person on their side which is not very likely. I can see the benefit for them on forum like this - sharing the knowledge generates free advertising space. But OTOH, they would have to refrain from any criticism towards DAI, having in mind their usual special relations with them.
gdball

Post by gdball »

ememic99 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:21 am
Boatguy wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:20 am I think it would be great if they would participate. They have a wealth of experience that would benefit other owners.
I doubt any will join. It would require a dedicated person on their side which is not very likely. I can see the benefit for them on forum like this - sharing the knowledge generates free advertising space. But OTOH, they would have to refrain from any criticism towards DAI, having in mind their usual special relations with them.
Can I take the opportunity to suggest the anonymous public forum is a pain for a non-member, and yes I'd very much like to fix it on my side by purchasing an airplane. A different forum I use (for a completely different subject) has switched to Discourse rather that the same once popular PHP forum softer that this appears to be. The relevance is... Discourse has a way more sophisticated user trust model where types of access are earned. Its different, but only took about 10 minutes to really like it, including no more paging and paging on more popular posts. Better user experience = more use of the forum I think, less redundant questions and more utility if you using it for research or to help make decisions. I'm grateful for what's here, giving a real and balanced view of ownership. As far as forums, I like what is here.

Greg
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Greg, you can join DAN as a non-owner. We created Provisional Member category for this purpose.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

gdball wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:29 pm [ The relevance is... Discourse has a way more sophisticated user trust model where types of access are earned. Its different, but only took about 10 minutes to really like it, including no more paging and paging on more popular posts. Better user experience = more use of the forum I think, less redundant questions and more utility if you using it for research or to help make decisions.

Greg
Seconding the fantastic forum experience of using Discourse. https://www.discourse.org/
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Soareyes wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:33 pm
gdball wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:29 pm [ The relevance is... Discourse has a way more sophisticated user trust model where types of access are earned. Its different, but only took about 10 minutes to really like it, including no more paging and paging on more popular posts. Better user experience = more use of the forum I think, less redundant questions and more utility if you using it for research or to help make decisions.

Greg
Seconding the fantastic forum experience of using Discourse. https://www.discourse.org/
You’re missing the point. The thread is about opening new sub-forums in order to attract more contributors and provide more content for sharing knowledge rather than changing the form how the content is delivered. I don’t see any problem in current software and I don’t think much would be improved by changing forum software.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

ememic99 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:44 pm
Soareyes wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:33 pm

Greg
You’re missing the point. The thread is about opening new sub-forums in order to attract more contributors and provide more content for sharing knowledge rather than changing the form how the content is delivered. I don’t see any problem in current software and I don’t think much would be improved by changing forum software.
I don't think he was missing the point as much as initiating a little thread drift. I'll contribute to the drift by saying that the Tesla owners forum software is also very nice. I particularly like that the there are a variety of one button comment choices other than just "Thank". I would contribute to the cost of changing software it cost is the barrier.

End of thread drift.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Russ,

Which Tesla forum do you like? (New Model Y. Stunning, stunning vehicle.)
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)