Mid Atlantic Prop Balance

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Tom-B
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N427CQ
Airports: KLOM

Mid Atlantic Prop Balance

Post by Tom-B »

An independent PIREP:

A few hours ago, I had a new MT prop installed on my 2002 DA40. Oddly, I was having problems finding a shop that has the tools and training to dynamically balance the prop near me (based at KLOM, near Philadelphia). I even had troubles trying to get the shop that had sold me the prop to return my calls about scheduling such work.

Thankfully by asking around I found Gullwing Aviation at KRVL Mifflin County. After exchanging a few texts with Mitch Haubert (717-385-6710) we easily coordinated a date to get this work done.

I arrived on schedule and Mitch quickly got to work. After the initial test run, he reported that my prop was easily within compliance limits, but he wanted to make it far better. Two run ups and a small counter weight later and the prop was measuring dead center. Mitch also walked through the detailed printouts with my wife and I. So within an hour of having taxied up to his hanger I was back on my way home. I felt compelled to share this experience because of Mitch’s customer service and skill.

Our PowerFlow manuals recommend we have our prop’s dynamically balanced at least every 4 years ... I know I will most likely return to Gullwing Aviation in a few years. As an aside, it was really beautiful flying into the wide valley that KRVL’s 5000 foot runway lies within. Nice airport and people.
ZAV
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N387DS
Airports: KLEX

Re: Mid Atlantic Prop Balance

Post by ZAV »

Any noticeable difference in how it flies, vibration, etc?
Tom-B
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: N427CQ
Airports: KLOM

Post by Tom-B »

Bryan, between the new prop and the old prop there was a huge difference. The new prop was so quiet I thought my noise cancelling headset was on (something I don’t turn on until after I am in cruise). But considering how close my prop was already in balance I did not feel any noticeable change after the balancing.
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

I had my MTV-12-B prop overhauled on February and then dynamically balanced with my annual in May. I thought it made a big difference.