ADSB Weather different than cell data weather

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

ADSB Weather different than cell data weather

Post by Derek »

Wondering if anyone can help explain this or if you’ve seen the same issue: I was flying through rain and marginal vfr last weekend and the weather picture generated by adsb displayed on my iPad using ForeFlight was not picking it up accurately where I was flying. The weather picture on my cell phone however, generated using cell data and ForeFlight, was accurate to what I was actually experiencing.

I was disappointed that the Adsb weather picture was inaccurate but at least now I know to check a picture generated with cell data as well. Does anyone know why the two data sources are different?
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Re: ADSB Weather different than cell data weather

Post by arksat »

In the US, I believe this is because of different data sources.
ADS-B WX (FIS-B) is based on NEXRAD by National Weather Services, whereas ForeFlight uses multiple data sources including NWS when connected to the Internet, which generates higher resolution WX picture.
I am also disappointed. FAA says ADS-B is a part of "NextGen" but it's like a next gen of 10 years ago.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: ADSB Weather different than cell data weather

Post by Boatguy »

Tosh has it and FF expands on that here: https://foreflight.com/support/support- ... /204025765