DA42 Yaw Damper or Just Rudder Trim?

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Soareyes

DA42 Yaw Damper or Just Rudder Trim?

Post by Soareyes »

Hi DAN,

I'm shopping for a new plane, considering a DA42 and I have a question about whether a yaw damper is available for the DA42.

Is the big rudder trim/hold knob front and center a set and stay rudder hold only? Is there also a servo-operated yaw damper that the autopilot uses to actively prevent "tail wagging" in turbulence?

My wife likes to ride in the the back. In the three previous DA40s I've owned the fishtailing in even mild turbulence would make the backseaters a bit queasy.

Thanks,

Dan
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: DA42 Yaw Damper or Just Rudder Trim?

Post by CFIDave »

Dan:

Pre-2009 DA42s (TDI models originally with Thielert/Continental CD-135 engines) all have KAP-140 autopilots WITHOUT a yaw damper. 2009+ DA42NG and -VI models with Austro Engines have Garmin GFC-700 autopilots WITH integrated yaw dampers.

The irony is that the DA40 without a yaw damper IMHO could benefit from one -- since it tends to "wag its tail" in typical summertime thermals. In contrast, the DA42 (with the weight of the engines out on the wing lending stability) doesn't really need a yaw damper; I can't tell much difference with it turned on.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI