DA-40, front seat, and long cargo

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Flyairth

DA-40, front seat, and long cargo

Post by Flyairth »

I just got an intro to the DA-40 on my hunt to find the first plane I'll own. Love the center stick, the visibility, full nose up trim glide, and much more. Taxiing without nose wheel steering I could live without, but the instructor said it won't take long to adjust.

For purchase, I'm undecided between this and a PA-28. One checkmark on the pro side for Piper: I've verified you can fold down/forward the two right seats and pack a 7' surf board. I didn't bother to try in the Diamond, because the front right seat back didn't adjust in any way. Is that normal for all DA-40s? No adjustment for how vertical you want the seat back, or any way to lean it forward so you can reach in the back? Instructor couldn't say.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: DA-40, front seat, and long cargo

Post by Rich »

Front seat back and seat pan are essentially fixed in place. Back seat backs fold down.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
vontresc
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N569DS
Airports: KMSN

Post by vontresc »

With the baggage extension, and the back seats folded down completely you can get some pretty long cargo in there. Not sure if the surf board will fit, but bring a tape measure next time. Flying wise I'd take the Diamond over the Cherokee any day ;-)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

DA40s starting with the XLT model in 2013 optionally came with fully-reclining front seats. All new DA40 NGs now come standard with reclining front seats.

But more importantly, why (except for lower cost) would anyone possibly prefer a Piper Cherokee over a DA40? The DA40 is FAR superior in handling, control feel, visibility, performance, safety record, etc.; it's just a whole lot more fun to fly. You're comparing a modern composite glass cockpit aircraft with "your father's airplane" designed in the late 1950s.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I learned to fly in a Piper Cherokee Warrior III. At 10.5hrs I took a demo flight in the DA40 that I wound up buying, owning for 11 yrs and flying 1,600 hours. There's really no comparison. One is a modern aircraft, designed so that you can survive an accident and engineered to be safer at low speeds. I did a lot of research and I don't believe there is a safer plane for your first 500 hours.

People often say of buying a plane, "You buy for your mission." That's true. But if you have a mission that the DA40 does not fill, I would suggest have a CFII with you for the first 500 hours. The Cirrus sells to low time pilots with the parachute as the selling point. My reading of the NTSB monthly accident reports suggests that the parachute is of limited use when you are low, slow and in the pattern, which is where a lot of low time pilots die.

Seven feet is a long item to get into *any* vehicle. This was me bringing my IKEA purchases back to San Juan Island. I actually had more trouble getting it into the Chevy Spark than I did getting it into the DA42. (The interior size of a DA40 and DA42 and function the same.) Maybe you need to start surfing a six footer.
IMG_1499.jpg
IMG_1493.jpg
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

A 7 foot surfboard would be a challenge in either plane. It would require seats folded down and in the DA40, either the extended baggage compartment or even removal of the rear compartment wall. This removal and reinstall isn't a terribly big deal, but this is not something you'd want to do on a daily basis.

Keep in mind the PA 28's only have a door on the copilot side. So with the board in place, entry and egress for your own personal self would be worth watching :)

And in either case, you have to be sure the board can not interfere with the flight controls or visibility out the windows and is properly secured so that is the case. This could be problematic with either the DA40 stick or a PA28 yoke.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Rich wrote:A 7 foot surfboard would be a challenge in either plane.
Can't you just tie it on top? :D
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
nrenno
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nilton
Aircraft Registration: N63WP
Airports: KARB

Post by nrenno »

I suggest starting kiteboarding. The equipment fits into the DA40.
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

I have surfed most of my life. Without the measuring the plane to confirm, a 7' board just may fit. You would need to put the tapered front of the board in to the very back extended luggage compartment and the back seats down. The fins on the board would end of being face down in the backseat leg wells. The other option is a shorter board which is kind of the popular thing now.
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076