DA-40 Purchase

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Hui

DA-40 Purchase

Post by Hui »

Hello Folks! I'm Interested in purchasing a DA-40, and saw a 2003 model near where I live. But would like to gather as much information as I could and would like to get some advice from diamond owners before the purchase. I would like to humbly request some DA-40 or Diamond experts to share their thoughts and opinions. The aircraft is equipped with analog gauges, dual VOR, G430, G530, non ADSB transponder, approximately 800 hour since major overhaul, Total time is around 3400. My primary use of the DA-40 will be time building or instruct a little bit. Please feel free to let me know your thoughts! Cheers!
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ThomasD
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N215DS
Airports: EGGD

Re: DA-40 Purchase

Post by ThomasD »

Hello Hui, it may not be what you are looking for, but I have an ad in the Classifieds section (selling my DA40).

Mods: apologies, I would have sent a PM to Hui, but couldn't.
OriensFlight
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Registration: N556LU
Airports: KHES

Post by OriensFlight »

Hi Hui,
I just bought a DA40 for my business earlier this year. I'd be happy to share my thought process. TBH there are a lot of variables, from how to pre-inspect to tax consequences. Where do you want to start? I presume you're a CFI already? Where are you based? Tell us a little more about yourself.
Hans
N556LU / 40.763 - 2007 DA40 XL G1000 w/WAAS, SVT, TAS & ADS-B @ RAM Aviation in Healdsburg, California
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Where are you located? If in So Cal come out and fly in mine. In my opinion the non-G1000 2002-2003 Diamonds are the best for many different reasons. I have owned both and kept my 2002.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Lance Murray wrote:Where are you located? If in So Cal come out and fly in mine. In my opinion the non-G1000 2002-2003 Diamonds are the best for many different reasons. I have owned both and kept my 2002.
I agree. The complication is that there are various options that might have been omitted by the original purchaser and many modifications that may or may not have been made subsequent to this early generation version. The result is that the actual goodies installed in a given plane needs to be checked against those you would desire to have. Autopilot, for example, is something omitted in the original purchase and right now impossible to retrofit. (STEC may come out with a 3100 retrofit for the DA40 if there is enough interest.)

My '02, for example has had these mods done over the years, some of which added or subtracted from the empty weight:

Extended baggage compartment.
Conversion of 530 and 430 to WAAS
Powerflow exhaust
XeVision (2x50W) Landing/Taxi
MTOW/MLW increase modification
Concorde RG24-15M battery
Unison fine-wire spark plugs
Replace/move Mag. Compass
Replace wingtip lights with LEDs
Replace Sky Tec Starter with newer model
406 MHz ELT (ACK E-04)
ADS-B out (Bendix-King KT74)

Other possible stuff you may or may not find would be things like different propellers, TCAS, XM weather, stormscope.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5