Is there any EASA country that approves time extension of Thielert 2.0 (CD135) in DA42?

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Bartek
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bartek
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: D-GJHO
Airports: EPOM

Is there any EASA country that approves time extension of Thielert 2.0 (CD135) in DA42?

Post by Bartek »

My engines will reach 12 years soon, but still are far from 1500h limit (around 900h now). Plane is D-reg, maintenance says – replacement will be a must, German CAA (LBA) treats 12 years manufacturer’s recommendation as an obligatory limit for engine change…
I do not think such an approach is of much sense, particularly for ME, with pleasure I would fly my engines till 1500h limit (what is of some logical sense…).
So my question is if anyone knows EASA country, that allows time extension of CD135 in DA42? I would be more than happy to change the country of registration of the plane if such an option is available somewhere…
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: Is there any EASA country that approves time extension of Thielert 2.0 (CD135) in DA42?

Post by Karl »

I doubt that you will find anyone that will over ride the OEM requirements.
Are the engines 1.7 or 2.0?

The only suggestion I would make is to approach Continental Diesel (current OEM) with a proposed inspection schedule to allow the calendar limit to be exceeded.

Things like a boroscope inspection of the cylinders. Make a video that can be sent to them for review.
Leak down test of the cylinders.
Provide them with logs of oil consumption.
Maybe a statement from your LAE supporting the continued use.

Its a long shot but the best I can advise.

Recently we had a few engines that had been in storage without being inhibited. OEM initial response was to remove them and send to the factory for inspection. After some discussion they did accept our proposals of Boroscope inspections with video for them to review. They eventually approved the engines to remain in service with extra monitoring.
Bartek
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Re: Is there any EASA country that approves time extension of Thielert 2.0 (CD135) in DA42?

Post by Bartek »

Hi Karl,
Thank you for the response, engines are 2.0.
12 years is not a manufacturer’s requirement, it is recommendation.
In case of Lycs or Contis – it is pretty the same, AFAIK. Many CAA’s (including German LBA) allow Lycs and Contis to be flown past time recommendation, hourly limits are usually a must for overhaul/replacement. It looks that with these Thielerts the practice is different. But maybe not through the whole Europe…
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Karl »

Hi Bartek,

SB TM-TAE-125-0001 Lifetimes is a category 1 service bulletin.
This bulletin includes the 12 year life requirement.

Continental Diesel say this about a Category 1 SB. (Ref SB TM-TAE-000-1001)
The accomplishment of a category 1 service bulletin must be done in the mentioned space of time implicitly.

I think with wording like that it will be difficult to get someone to allow you to overfly the calendar time without Continental Diesel approval.

As mentioned earlier I would approach them with a valid argument as to why it will be safe to continue.
Provide all the data downloads for review.
Boroscope videos etc.
Maybe consider SOAP sampling.
Anything like that will help you validate that it will be safe to continue.
Bartek
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Bartek »

Thank you for the idea. As I understand your suggestion is first to go to engine manufacturer, after that to CAA for approval of what was agreed (providing success in the first step). Right?
I am only wondering, for Conti to cooperate in this process looks like of little sense… Their business is selling the engines...
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Karl »

Bartek wrote:Thank you for the idea. As I understand your suggestion is first to go to engine manufacturer, after that to CAA for approval of what was agreed (providing success in the first step). Right?
I am only wondering, for Conti to cooperate in this process looks like of little sense… Their business is selling the engines...
I think once you have approval from the engine manufacturer you wouldn't need any further approval from the CAA. Just make sure it is documented.

Their business is indeed selling engines but developing a procedure to extend the calendar life of their engines has to be good for them too the same as extending the hours life of their engines.

It has to be worth a try, exchanging a few emails and doing a boroscope inspection is much much cheaper than replacing the engines.