Member requirements response

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Ben2k99

Member requirements response

Post by Ben2k99 »

To the guy asking about a friend of his interested in buying a Diamond and wanting to participate in this forum first, he can post here in the public forum like I am doing. Don’t have to be a member. Of course you can browse in any topics but only post and respond in the public forum until you buy a Diamond.
dselder1962
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: VHYDZ
Airports: YMMB

Re: Member requirements response

Post by dselder1962 »

Ben2k99 wrote:To the guy asking about a friend of his interested in buying a Diamond and wanting to participate in this forum first, he can post here in the public forum like I am doing. Don’t have to be a member. Of course you can browse in any topics but only post and respond in the public forum until you buy a Diamond.
I am that "guy". So how come there are members who can post in the fora who DON'T own a Diamond?
I am after an answer from the moderators as to this seeming inconsistency, and that this exclusion appears to me to unnecessarily keep good people who would add to the forum out.
Cheers
David
Based in Moorabbin, Australia. 8-)
Past Cirrus 20
Past Cirrus 22T
Present Diamond 42-VI
BKR

Post by BKR »

I’ve recently asked similar questions.

I’m in the market for a Diamond and thought this forum would be a great way to network. Unfortunately, it’s more closed off than I expected.

I can’t imagine that a larger user base would be harmful. If this user group wants to promote an airplane they love to fly then show it and welcome it to all.
Ben2k99

Post by Ben2k99 »

dselder1962 wrote:
Ben2k99 wrote:To the guy asking about a friend of his interested in buying a Diamond and wanting to participate in this forum first, he can post here in the public forum like I am doing. Don’t have to be a member. Of course you can browse in any topics but only post and respond in the public forum until you buy a Diamond.
I am that "guy". So how come there are members who can post in the fora who DON'T own a Diamond?
I am after an answer from the moderators as to this seeming inconsistency, and that this exclusion appears to me to unnecessarily keep good people who would add to the forum out.
Cheers
I don’t know...maybe they once owned a Diamond? I agree it should be more open. The aviation and Diamond community is probably so small and self selecting that there wouldn’t be any downside.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Yes, I believe the people on here without Diamonds once owned them.

In my experience a larger user population is more work for the moderators. Have *some* gate to entry (own the plane, pay $30, whatever it is) cuts out a lot of people that troll for attention or are there to sell something.

Since we HAVE the public forum where they can post, why is that not enough? You can read *all* the other content, ask questions in the public forum and then start contributing when you have the plane. What am I missing?
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

First of all, one of the things we all love about the DAN is the relative lack of trash we have to wade through here. Every other forum I have been a part of is filled with trolls, political arguments, endless advertising and self-promotion, bickering between members, etc. etc. But here, the moderators have done an exceptional job of keeping that sort of thing to an absolute minimum, and I really appreciate that. The idea of having some minimum requirement for admittance to the forum has always been there, as well as a strict non-advertising policy. We have had public discussions on both of these topics from time to time, but in the end we seem to mostly agree to keep things as they are. Nobody wants to see the DAN devolve into what so many of the other forums have become these days.

Now, having said all that, I certainly understand the feeling of the potential new Diamond owner who comes here wanting to become a part of our family, only to be rejected because they do not (yet) own a plane. The last thing we want to do is turn off potential Diamond buyers because we seem unfriendly! But we do need a way to differentiate between those who are seriously interested, and those who just want another forum to troll. This falls to the moderator(s) to determine the difference.

At one time, I was one of those who could approve new members, according to the rules the DAN founder had set forth, and I can tell you it was not an easy job. I don't know how it is now, but back then there were several requests each day, the majority of which turned out to be fake. You could often tell by tracking down the requesting IP address and it would turn out to be some bot or known spammer address. My point is, it's a job, it's time-consuming, and it doesn't pay very well. Yet in spite of all that I think our current moderator(s) is doing an excellent job of keeping thing humming along here. Thanks!

Yes, we have the Public Post option, and that may be a good compromise for now. Maybe we could change the sign-up screen to tell people to just post about themselves and why they want to join, and then let them join if they seem legit? The public posts don't show up immediately - they must be "approved" by a moderator, so any non-conforming posts would just die without becoming visible. I don't know, but I do think we need to come up with some solution that doesn't offend drive new potential Diamond owners away, but still protects us from the rest of the offensive world.

Any ideas?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

I think you need to break down the problem into multiple areas. Trying to address it all at once will leave your head spinning.
To stay on topic, I am member of a few forums which do this very well. Here is the general rules they all seem to have:
1. Make sure TOS is specific.
2. If you have to have a babble area, make it auto-pruning. Usually a week or two. Second, threads auto-lock after X number of posts.
3. Users are capped at number of posts in babble space.
4. Multiple mods with authority to temp lock a thread and move it to babble.
5. Predefined number of warnings before a user is kicked off, or posts for this user go to a mod first

To thin the spam applications.
1. Use google/microsoft or some well maintained third party robot check.
2. Auto-verify emails to start.
3. When users want to join ask questions on the form. e.g. Not an owner, which plane are you interested in. Make sure Diamond actually has such a plane.
4. A few forums have switched to requiring real names. This has been 50/50 if it works well.

This is a tough balancing act.

Tim
BKR

Post by BKR »

It should be relatively easy to authenticate an interested user. See...I’m interested. I’m real. I’m certain that anybody willing to be general aviation pilot has $20 to give to the forum to show their genuine interest.

I’m a new pilot and I’m the Diamond market. I trained in a DA40 and have read all of the information here. As a student pilot, I tried to gain access to the forum. I didn’t know that there was a public forum I could post to until recently. I was just told, “owners only”.

I found the forum valuable during training reading about the plane systems and others mishaps along the way. I don’t know that I would have much to offer from a technical standpoint but student pilots and new pilots offer much needed enthusiasm. What better way to help trainees that fly Diamonds consider buying one when they’re done?
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

BKR wrote:I was just told, “owners only”.
Can you double check the email you received from me (probably 10/18/17, if I have the login correct). I don't believe I've ever sent out such an email that didn't include a hyperlink to the Public Forum.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
BKR

Post by BKR »

Chris:

Yes. There was a link to the public forum.

This was the email statement.

“Currently membership in our forum is restricted to owners of Diamond Aircraft.”

Not saying it was ugly in any way. It was just matter of fact and a “no”.