Tall Canopy for DA40

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Ben2k99

Tall Canopy for DA40

Post by Ben2k99 »

I’m a tall guy and really eager to get into a DA40. Looking to purchase one as soon as I can find a way to increase headroom. I’m aware of two different types of canopies available: the Tall Boy and I believe this is also called the Bubble canopy which became standard on the XLS model. What I’m not clear on is how much headroom this adds. I’ve heard half and inch and I’ve heard 2inches.

Also there is a Double Bubble canopy that was primarily created for military & police where helmets are worn, which also supposedly adds 2inches.

Getting all the info I need from Diamond has been challenging thus far. I’m looking for answers about how much headroom each of these adds, and which model DA40s will work with which canopies.

I sat in 2003 DA40 with round dials and my head was right at the canopy but a couple inches would do the trick. Interestingly I sat in a 2008 XLS (glass cockpit) that would have had the Bubble Canopy I believe, and still my head was right at the canopy. There must be something a little different about the interior of the glass cockpit and the older models with round dials.

Can anyone help me gets some definitive answers?

Thanks
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Re: Tall Canopy for DA40

Post by ultraturtle »

Suggest you check out a newer model with reclining seats and the bubble canopy. I'm only 6' 3", but have a tall seating height. I find that reclining the seat just a hair makes a big difference.

If anyone asks, the seat is always fully upright for takeoff and landing...
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

The larger canopy that became standard with 2008+ XLS models adds 1 inch of additional height compared to earlier DA40s. This canopy can be added to older models for about $5000; we've had multiple customers do this.

Then there is the "double bubble" canopy typically used for DA42 MPP pilots wearing helmets, that adds another inch. I'm not sure how much that canopy costs to purchase and install on a DA40:
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/ph ... 33464.html

Reclining front seats became available for the DA40 starting with the 2013 XLT models. As Rob suggested, reclining the seat will create additional clearance for your head/headset.

Otherwise, get a DA62 twin (or wait for the new DA50 single that shares the same interior fuselage dimensions). :D At Oshkosh we had hundreds of people of different sizes sit in the DA62 on display at the Diamond exhibit (including a big guy who was 6' 8"), and they all fit very comfortably.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Ben2k99

Post by Ben2k99 »

What year models DA40 are compatible with the double bubble?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Ben2k99 wrote:What year models DA40 are compatible with the double bubble?
I'm not absolutely sure, but I would guess that it would fit any model year since the fuselage molds didn't change.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Ben2k99

Post by Ben2k99 »

Appreciate the guess, but at this point I am looking for definitive, official information with which I can make a purchase decision.

Thanks!
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curt
Aircraft Registration: N215CS
Airports: 22N

Post by curts63 »

Are the reclining seats an option for newer 2008-2012 XLS planes? I'd like to be able to replace mine if that were possible?

Also, for what it's worth. I'm just over 6'2" and more long in the body then legs. For me, the difference in the tall canopy versus the older standard, was enough to make the DA40 my plane of choice. I didn't fit in the older models very well. I won't say this is spacious, but it was enough.

Curt
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I'd like to be able to replace mine if that were possible?
Before you say that, check the price. I think it was over $15,000 when I last looked. (I try hard not to look at prices for things related to the plane.)
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curt
Aircraft Registration: N215CS
Airports: 22N

Post by curts63 »

$15,000, pretty sure that's not going to happen. That's ridiculous. It was a nice thought though.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Ben2k99 wrote:Appreciate the guess, but at this point I am looking for definitive, official information with which I can make a purchase decision.
Try sending an email with your question to customersupport@diamondair.com
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI