Twn sticks

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Boatguy54

Twn sticks

Post by Boatguy54 »

I’m very interested in a DA40 (XLT or NG), but I can’t get past the twin sticks. My wife wants to be able to use her lap for iPad or whatever, not spend the flight worrying about bumping the stick.

How do you owners deal with this?

Thanks!
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Twn sticks

Post by Colin »

Well, that was one of the upgrades I did, removing the right stick. My passengers have loved the change. My wife still used her laptop back when we had the DA40 and there was a stick in her lap. She was just (mostly) careful (switched off the autopilot ONE time.

I didn't realize until after I had done it that my two sons bother were nervous when they were sitting in the front seat that if they took a nap they would "bump that thing and kill everyone."
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

I used to have a Piper Lance with club seating when my three children were young. My wife ALWAYS sat in the seat immediately behind me, facing backwards... even when it was only the two of us in the plane. She would have had no problem using an iPad back there (if you get my hint).
Boatguy54

Post by Boatguy54 »

Colin wrote:Well, that was one of the upgrades I did, removing the right stick. My passengers have loved the change. My wife still used her laptop back when we had the DA40 and there was a stick in her lap. She was just (mostly) careful (switched off the autopilot ONE time.
What was the rough cost to make that upgrade (round $000's)?
Was that a permanent change, or are you able to install/remove the stick with some amount of effort?

Thanks!
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Very little effort to install and remove. It was less than ten AMU, but I think it was more than four. I try *very* hard not to track this stuff too closely. That was a *great* upgrade and made flights for my wife and kids much better immediately. It would have been worth 20.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
H60 pilot
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N691YW
Airports: PHNL

Post by H60 pilot »

I'll cast another ballot in favor of the "removable co-pilot stick" in case any Diamond employees are following. Would pay $20,000 for this without blinking. My alternatives to the DA40 (sans co-pilot stick) are a great deal more expensive.