DA42 in SF Bay Area

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

scguest

DA42 in SF Bay Area

Post by scguest »

Folks,
I am considering earning my commercial multi add-on (already have commercial+instrument single engine and a private multi that was done on a P2006T) on a DA42-VI. The reason is that I may still want to buy a DA42 in the future so instead of training on a bird I would not be planning to buy (like a P2006T or a Barron) that would give me the opportunity to assess whether I like the DA42 or not.
Would you know any flight school in the Bay Area all the way to KMRY (besides Bay City Flyers at KHWD which is kind of far) that has DA42s?
Also, any feedback on the idea? Any advice? I am planning between 10 and 15 hours of training.
Thanks a lot.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: DA42 in SF Bay Area

Post by Colin »

If Hayward is far what airport are you closest to? My guess is they would have an instructor fly down to you for the work in the plane. I can't imagine it would be that many flights. I really liked my experience with their outfit.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
scguest

Post by scguest »

Thanks Collin, I fly off KWVI so I would have to fly to KWHD which is time consuming (when IFR) or tricky (when VFR). Or worst drive. Are you saying that you trained with Bay City?
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

I trained with Angel City, which is in Long Beach, but they are one big organization with Bay City (the same person, John Ewing, was their chief pilot for both locations and helped develop the curriculum).

For my training I had to fly KSMO – KLGB for each lesson. I found it really pleasant to have that time to clear my head or, when it was IFR, a chance to practice my skills.
scguest

Post by scguest »

Thanks Colin, looks like this is what I may have to do (though for me it's 46 nm direct and not trivial in VFR (Class B & C)) because I always get deviations or the trip is twice longer in IFR. I probably will have more questions if I proceed with the training (on a DA42-VI).
scguest

Post by scguest »

Ok, it turns out that here they have a DA42 TDI and a DA42-VI. Those are vastly different aircraft. Which one would you suggest I train (obviously the former is much cheaper)? Also, does the TDI have dual ECU per engine and battery backup (I recall reading about a dual engine failure on a DA42 because of a weak battery)? Thanks.
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Post by dgger »

When I took out my commercial multi and IR my flight school had both a TDI as well as an NG. All students took turns in either one. From a training perspective I would not say they are vastly different - rather the contrary to be honest. Apart from minor operational differences (MCP in the TDI is 100% while the Austros do 92%, no fuel pumps for the TDI, different ECU selection, ...) and somewhat different speeds they really fly much alike. If you can safe a few bucks going with the TDI, as far as training goes, I would jump on it.

The TDI comes with two ECUs per engine, just like the Austro. The accident your are referring to seems to be the one in Germany some 10 or so years ago. IIRC the pilots used ground power to start both engines (in violation of POH procedures) which did not allow the main battery to sufficiently charge. Retracting the gears on take-off caused a brief collapse of the electrical system which led to the shut down . Also, IIRC there was an SB.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

I would train in the least expensive option.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

The normal advice is to train in the aircraft closest to the type you expect to fly after training.

So if you're planning on buying a DA42-VI (there are very few that occasionally show up in the used market) and can afford the extra cost for -VI hourly rental, train in that. You'll learn the Garmin GFC700 autopilot and Austro engine management (e.g., requiring fuel pumps to be switched on for takeoff and landing, and different voter switches). Otherwise train in the TDI since more than 95% percent of the used DA42s available are TDI models with the KAP-140 autopilot and Thielert (now Continental) engines.

There's not much difference in how the planes fly or feel at the controls, except the "dash 6" is slightly heavier and much faster with different V speeds. I took my Commercial Multi checkride in a TDI while waiting for my new DA42-VI to be built. But I was already very familiar with the GFC700 autopilot from my DA40 XLS.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI