Cover DA42-VI

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Malcolm

Cover DA42-VI

Post by Malcolm »

Hello everybody,
we, the harbor pilots of New Caledonia, will have in the beginning of october a new DA42-VI in our fleet.
We fly our planes from Nouméa to the Loyalty islands and they are generally parked outside, under the hot sun of the south pacific and near the sea. Therefore we absolutely need a full cover for it. But we can't get the engineer drawings for the cover manufacturer. Because we are far from everything we can't get them to come here and take the mesurements directly on our planes. Diamond answered us with pictures of our DA42 in the assembly line but no mesurements... Has someone had the same problem ? Do you know whom we could contact ?
Thank you very much and blue skies !
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Cover DA42-VI

Post by Colin »

Bruce's Covers made the cover for my DA42 without any drawings. If you can order it online, I believe they could ship it to you. If they can't, we should be able to work something out with someone in a country they CAN ship to in order to get it to you.

https://www.aircraftcovers.com/DA42
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Thank you Colin, I already contacted Bruce's Covers but we have to order from Europe, if we do not taxes will be too high. A lot of manufacturers have their plans for the twinstar but not for the DA42-VI that's why i am looking for the .dxf drawings ...
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I ordered a travel cover from Bruce's for our then-new DA42-VI about 4 years ago (back when it was the first "dash six" in North America), and the cover they shipped fit the aircraft perfectly. There is NO difference in measurements or upper fuselage antenna placement between a DA42-VI vs. a DA42-TDI "TwinStar," so you should have no problem with any DA42 cover fitting properly.

(FWIW, I *did* have an issue with ordering a cover for our new DA62; because it's a new design, they required me to fill out a form with lots of measurements. However, the first cover sent by Bruce's had too short a pocket for the tall top VHF antenna, causing the entire cover to sit too far aft on the aircraft. I sent it back for them to lengthen the antenna pocket, and now it fits just fine. So anyone ordering a DA62 cover from Bruce's should now receive one that fits.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
potentialbuyer

Post by potentialbuyer »

I was looking at the full cover.
How well does it withstand harsh winter/summer (CYRP)?
Ideally, I'd like to rent a hangar here but they are hard to come by.

Thank You
klang
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: karl
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: DGGWU
Airports: LSZC

Post by klang »

Hi Malcolm
the best quality covers on the market are made by JAXIDA in Germany http://www.jaxida-cover.de/en/home-english/
I got complete covers for my DA42. Jaxida has all dimensions and fit readily available for DA42. Since it is made of several parts (main fuselage, empennage, engine cowls, props, wings upper and lower surfaces), one can cover all or only parts of the aircraft. It is double layer with soft inlay and humidity vents which prevents condensation underneath even at worse ambient and at the same time makes for enough cushion to protect from hail impact. Exterior material UV resistant and reflecting so it also protects against sun radiation and keeps the cockpit cool.
On longer trips I just take the hull cover along which protects the aircraft nose to aft of COM antennas.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Thanks again everybody for all your answers !
@Dave : sadly we have to contact an european manufacturer because of the taxes but your informations about the measurements are very helpful.
@klang : I already had an exchange with jaxida but they are victim of their own success and the delivering delays are pretty high.
Has someone dealt with Novak wingcovers ? I received an interesting offer from them.