Loud static noise and weak audible voice

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Hetch

Loud static noise and weak audible voice

Post by Hetch »

Hello all,

I took possession of my new used da40 and flying it back from Florida to Pennsylvania. On my first leg today I started to lose the signal for atc. I was flying at 9500. At first I thought the problem had to do with how far I was from the coast but that was not the case.

Could it be the squelch? I've never adjusted that when I used to rent the DA40's. Is that something that would normally get adjusted during flight? Hearing that static and keeping it loud (so as not to miss any communications from ATC) is really taxing. Interestingly I could hear the planes that were close to me well.
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Re: Loud static noise and weak audible voice

Post by Pascal »

Do you have this problem with both of your radios?
Hetch

Post by Hetch »

I do and using two headsets.

Tomorrow I fly again and I think I'll play with the squelch settings. It wasn't fun flying with the volume turned up high so I can make out what is being said in between the loud static.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

If the static goes away while ATC is talking to you, then the squelch probably just needs to be adjusted to block it when there's no incoming signal. I'm assuming this happens on all frequencies and not just one or two?

Congrats on your DA40!
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
mdieter
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N43LM
Airports: KROC

Post by mdieter »

Here's a thought... We were using a cigarette plug to USB adapter from a reputable dealer (Sportys). That device generated so much RF interference that certain frequencies were unusable on the plane's radio. Disconnect any electronics you can to see if the problem disappears.

Another thing that comes to mind is a bad or broken antenna connection. That would make any received signal low and "in the noise" when you listen.

Good luck
Mark
N43LM
DA40.1047
Hetch

Post by Hetch »

Thank you Chris! It feels great :D

Mark, that must be it. I had a cheap USB Adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter port. I was using it to feed power to my Stratus and my iPad.

I doubt it's a broken antenna because the plane just came off of a fresh annual. I will test that theory tomorrow (second and third leg of kfxe-kabe) and will report back
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

My cigarette power port was placarded "for ground use only." I assume minimal shielding and testing with the avionics was part of the reason.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Hetch

Post by Hetch »

Culprit found!! The cigarette light USB Adapter!!!! I didnt use it and had 0 problems. Everything was crystal clear.

This forum rocks!
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Here is another possible option for auxiliary power. I did not have a cigarette port on my DA42, so I came up with this solution. The emergency battery packs for engine instruments required replacement at every annual. Since the batteries were never really used, the maintained a full charge with 12V output. I kept one of the batteries behind the left seat, wired up a cigarette lighter port to the battery, and used that port to keep my iPad and iPhone charged while flying. I never had to use more than 1 battery/year. Since we have to replace all 4 12V batteries each year, I accumulated more than enough batteries to last for years. Since this setup was not plugged into the plane's system, there was never a problem with radio interference.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com