Market value?

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

soarer20
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Aircraft Registration: N355NL
Airports: KAWO KUAO

Market value?

Post by soarer20 »

Curious what some of the more knowledgable folks might think about the value of the da20 A1.

I bought one recently but before I did I came across a few owners who had given up selling theirs as there was no interest at their asking price.

My A1 was about 20% less than an comparable c1.

I don't have any cost comparisons for overhaul or maint cost between the a1 and the c1.

The c1 is in high demand for flight school use which keeps prices high.
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Re: Market value?

Post by Pascal »

Hello Soarer,

I am no expert in A1s, but since nobody so far has replied, here are my two cents.

Only a few hundred A1s were built and are registered in North America. While a fantastic little aircraft, it is relatively unknown, and therefore not sought after by many prospective buyers.

Just like selling a summer home, you might have to wait a little longer to sell it compared to a run-of-the-mill C172. Also, the A1 competes with a large number of two seat general aviation airplanes, LSAs and other certified designs, old and new, some cheaper some more expensive, which offer comparable performance.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Re: Market value?

Post by krellis »

I believe there are around 50 A1's left in North America. My understanding, though - is that market values for them have actually been increasing somewhat. The few that I am aware of that have sold have gone to Europe. They command C1-like prices over there (with the exchange rate). The low fuel burn, autogas capability, low noise levels and the Rotax engines are all a plus in Europe.

As to the downside - the useful load on the A1's is pretty low. I think Christian Dries made a comment about Americans being too fat and to a degree, I agree. Although my son and I used to fly together in the A1, we cannot do so anymore with any usable fuel load. That might contribute to the lack of popularity in the U.S. I suspect Europeans are on average, more lean and fit than us here.