Looking to Rent/Lease DA42/62 for RTW

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

JPS

Looking to Rent/Lease DA42/62 for RTW

Post by JPS »

Hoping I can leverage this forum to aid in the hunt to secure an aircraft. I had one lined up, but pulled out due to high engine hours.

Later in the year I’ll be circumnavigating and making a feature length movie. The project is in partnership with Red Bull, GoPro, Wix and Sony.

More details on the project here — https://www.flybeyondborders.com

I am hoping to do the flight in a late model DA42 or preferably a DA62, and would love to get in touch with anyone considering renting theirs out to us, or will take any leads with suggestions on whom to contact. We will need it for approximately 240 hours. We have maintenance in place right around the world and have a large insurance company on board covering hull and 3rd party worldwide.

I will be PIC, while being accompanied by a variety of experienced pilots/friends during certain segments. I have 1200 TT (likely be 1400 by the time of departure), CPL and IFR.

The aircraft will also feature in several FlightChops episodes as Steve is helping me document the preparation stage of the flight.

Please get in touch if you have an aircraft, or know of someone who does so we can discuss further. We will require it from May to November. (North America based aircraft preferably)

I have reached out to Diamond and they're not interested in working with us. Which boggles my mind considering we have an audience of well over 100 million at our fingertips. Beats any magazine ad. Most prolific marketing I can think of.

Really hope this forum can be of use!

Regards
JP Schulze
coryatjohnx

Re: Looking to Rent/Lease DA42/62 for RTW

Post by coryatjohnx »

You might contact CTI in Millington, TN (KNQA). They have a DA42 that is underutilized.

https://ctipft.com/
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Angel City in Long Beach regularly does block-hour rentals to European customers.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OE-FAR
Airports: LOWL

Post by robert63 »

Great project! You'll need a ferry tank for your routing!
When you work with Red Bull you have to come to Austria. Maybe we can accompany you a little. :)
Queequeg

Post by Queequeg »

You would be better to finance and purchase an older 2006-2008 DA42 and then sell it once the trip is complete. Rental cost would probably be $50-$75k just for the trip and the bladder tank modifications would deter most owners from giving it up. It would be difficult for a flight school to lose a twin engine training aircraft.
robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OE-FAR
Airports: LOWL

Post by robert63 »

I think the wet rental cost is more in the region of $100k to $120k.
Queequeg

Post by Queequeg »

Could not rent it wet if they are planning to fly around the world. Price of Jetfuel would vary too much so I expect it would be a negotiated rate of time and hours.
I figure 250 hours x $200 per hour would be a giveaway price but $300 per hour more realistic. $75k. Get 6 months for that and at end give back with ferry tanks removed and a fresh annual (as they say they have maintenance covered) and cleaning.
Steve D
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: ZS-SDW
Airports: FALA

Post by Steve D »

I have a 2008 DA42 complete with ferry tanks which is available June to Nov.

The ferry tanks were purpose built in aluminium by Kai and recess into the rear foot wells to give an uncluttered area behind the pilot(s). With the regular, ferry and aux tanks full, the endurance is around 2050nm @70% with Reserves.

TTAFE 530hrs. It has O2 but does not have de-icing. MPI will be completed end May. PM me if interested.
Steve Dewsbery
CPL IR NR
Johannesburg, South Africa
JPS

Post by JPS »

Hi everyone, sorry for the silence, we were in active discussion with Diamond Austria as they were super keen to get behind this project, but they unfortunately don't have a demo aircraft available for that period of time, so the deal has fallen through.

So we're back to square one, still searching, and we'd love to use our platform of millions of viewers to offer marketing to a company or establishment and intern reduce the hourly rate. As we are looking at a large chunk of money now.

Also ran some numbers, and looks like we could use a DA40 albeit with a few sacrifices, so willing to consider an Austro powered 40.

Steve D, could you email me at jp[at]otavi[dot]co please to discuss your machine!

Post by Guest »

Found your airplane for your trip yet?

Another pilot and I are also looking to rent/lease/sponsorship for flying a DA62 or DA42 to a GA airshow in China around April/May, 2018, any leads would be appreciated. As DA40's and DA42's are being manufactured in China, it probably would make a bigger fuss if we could fly a DA62 there.