Managing cabin temperature

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

H60 pilot

Re: Managing cabin temperature

Post by H60 pilot »

Yes, theoretically an AC unit would best solve flying in hot climates. But given my family size, and the limitations of the DA40, I cannot trade payload and baggage space for AC equipment. The DA40 would be very near perfect for my mission profiles, if it were not for the alarming cabin temperatures.

And interesting, provided the comment by Lou, is the DA40 also lacking in the heater department? I could see the difficulty in keeping the cabin warm during the winter, I just assumed the heater was up to the task. Presumably the lack of heat could be mitigated by clothing and a blanket I presume. Problem is I can't get naked enough in Hawaii to tolerate temperatures as is.
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

The thinnest sheet is still 1/16 inch thick - vice a tinted film. I'm not an expert but I don't see that being flexible enough to be attached the existing plexiglass. I think it's intended to be a replacement, which I'm not sure it could even be done given the need for a thicker sheet and the complex curves of the canopy.

With regard to the vent noise, several of us have had success with taping over the LOWER part of the scoops on either side of the engine cowl that provide air to the vent system. On my 2003 it reduces sound by about 80% for a negligible loss of air flow. Glider tape works well.

I tried the Arctic Air system but didn't find it to appreciably reduce the temps in the cockpit. At best, when I directed the cool air on my neck it felt better. However, others who have flown with me thought it did.

I've never found the DA40 to lack heating during the winter, especially if its sunny.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

On the other end of the spectrum, the craft is remarkably comfortable in serious cold weather. Today we went to KSFF when the OATs were -17c most of the way. With that canopy we barely had the heat on. I can't imagine in warm weather places!
H60 pilot

Post by H60 pilot »

Hmm, very true. I had incorrectly assumed the measurements were metric. So the outlook of tinting these windows remains bleak. I am completely dumbfounded as to why DAI doesn't do this from the factory? Besides saving the cabin's upholstery and reducing the ACs workload (or potentially mitigating its need altogether), Diamond could offer this as a literal life saver. The altitudes Diamond advertises are needed to yield the range and speed benefits from it's Diesel products are quite high, 14,000 feet from a single without oxygen no less. At this altitude the occupants are exposed to over 50% more ultraviolet radiation than at sea level. No small amount given the Imax Theater level of visibility we enjoy from all the wraparound glass. It could then be said that UV-SG film is the safest, most environmentally friendly way to cool a cabin.

http://www.who.int/uv/uv_and_health/en/
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

FWIW, during Oshkosh 2016 a guy came around to different aircraft exhibits with test gear to measure ultraviolet (UV) transmission through various windshields/canopies. When he tested Diamond canopies, he determined that the canopy absorbs 100% of UV light. So we're unlikely to suffer from sunburn or skin cancer while flying.

So the issue here is infrared radiation (IR) though the expansive canopy. My DA42-VI has factory air-conditioning, the heat-rejecting seat leather of the DA40 XLT, and came with tinted back windows. Yet I'd also consider canopy tinting if anyone comes up with a solution.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
H60 pilot

Post by H60 pilot »

Really, that is good to know. Although flying these 2006 models often get "bronzed" if I don't apply enough sunscreen. Maybe it's my proximity to the equator? Thank you folks for the replies, I think I've sufficiently beaten this topic up. I'll share what 3M has to say about their product when I get a reply.
cgray80244
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: NONE
Airports:

Post by cgray80244 »

I did my DA40 with a film in the back seats. Worked great. Make sure to use a static cling material as opposed to the glue or adhesive based products. Front window is a no go, but at least the back is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Use static cling window tint on the rear windows. It makes a big difference. You don't have to black them out. a medium tint does the job well.
H60 pilot

Post by H60 pilot »

I'll look into that static clean window tint, it's a no fail task that I come up with something this summer. I can't afford to have a repeat of last. 3M's reply was a straight forward remark to NOT use Crystalline film on plastics for all the reasons mentioned by members here, bubbling. In the meantime, what's Cirrus doing with the SR20? Maybe it's just me, but the G6 is starting to look interesting.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

H60 pilot wrote:Maybe it's just me, but the G6 is starting to look interesting.
Just be aware that there have been quite a few stall-spin fatalities in Cirrus aircraft that happen in the traffic pattern where the plane is too low for 'chute recovery. There's never been a Diamond DA40-180 stall-spin accident due to its wing and docile handling.

Also, the Cirrus has a major design flaw: it uses a "wet wing" where cracking or puncturing of the composite wing during an accident causes fuel to leak and and resulting fire. In contrast, Diamond DA40/42/62 aircraft have separate aluminum fuel tanks located between two carbon fiber wing spars, making post-crash fires extremely rare.

Which type of heat would you prefer? :D
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI