Engine Options

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

cjb007

Engine Options

Post by cjb007 »

Hi All,

I'm learning to fly in a DA40 with FADEC engine which I quite like due to the single control lever for the engine. It means I don't need to worry about the mixture or propeller speed, just how much engine power is being applied.

That obviously allows me time to think about other things, and I like that very much.

I am looking at options to buy a DA40 after I have qualified, and am interested in a XLS, for the additional cockpit space, with a Lycoming engine which has propeller speed and mixture controls, which, to date, I have not had to think about.

I am kind of concnerned that I could qualify as a pilot with zero experience of throttle mix and propeller speed, rather than having gone through training on these types of aircraft. While I can study the requirements and procedures, I am sure that most pilots know what to do instinctively rather than by remembering it out of a book. The school I'm learning at only has FADEC engines and are primarily in the business of training airline pilots, so this isn't necessarily a problem for them.

Has anyone else experienced this in their training, and would there be any recommendations as to whether I should stick with FADEC controls or go for the Lycoming package?

Many thanks for all feedback, and seasons greetings to all.
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Re: Engine Options

Post by Diamond_Dan »

Diesel vs. Gas is a big discussion with a lot of parameters to consider. IMHO the prop and mixture levers should be on the low end of your concerns. A LOT of pilots (myself included) graduate trainers and learn the ways of constant speed propellers on a subsequent airplane. You can learn the prop and mixture with some reading and practice with a CFI.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

You will be severely limited in your choice of aircraft to purchase (mostly DA42s) should you decide to stick exclusively with FADEC controls.

But this is easily remedied. Once you've completed getting your PPL in your current DA40 NG, schedule some time with a CFI in an avgas plane with mixture and prop controls. Not only will you learn to work these controls, but you'll also need to learn the sometimes-frustrating technique for hot-starting a fuel-injected avgas engine, and (depending on where you live) engine pre-heating in the cold.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ThomasD
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N215DS
Airports: EGGD

Post by ThomasD »

Hello cjb007,

I would not worry about converting to the AVGAS plane with mixture and prop lever - in my experience after a short time you easily get used to setting these controls.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

ThomasD wrote:I would not worry about converting to the AVGAS plane with mixture and prop lever - in my experience after a short time you easily get used to setting these controls.
I agree. Some reading and a couple of hours of practice with a CFI will make this a non-issue. Unless you're doing pattern work, you don't touch the levers that often, and it quickly becomes second nature.

As an added bonus, you'll get to participate in the debates about correct power settings and the relative merits of rich-of-peak vs lean-of-peak. :)
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
cjb007

Post by cjb007 »

Many thanks for the kind replies. You have all put my mind at rest that I am not going down a dead end!

I have had a look through some of the other discussions relating to the various engines and there seem to be many other important things to look for too.

I'll do a bit more research and will be back to ask more questions later.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Chris