What are the implications of Da20 not IFR certified

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

wezel1uk

What are the implications of Da20 not IFR certified

Post by wezel1uk »

Hi, can you help me understand implication of Da20 not certified fir actual use in IMC. Go ready here, I'm a total non pilot (0 hours) but am trying to think about the type of plane I want to rent (eventually buy) to do fun flying plus short and medium (200-700nm) cross country, so I can learn in a similar plane. So sort of Diamond vs Cessna.

My concern is if the DA non IMC mean. I have no desire to fly in rain or storms but if it isn't even allowed to climb through cloud on a dry day to reach clear sky above it seems like a slight faster Lsa not a certified aircraft.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: What are the implications of Da20 not IFR certified

Post by CFIDave »

Because the DA20 is not IFR certified, you must always remain in visual meteorological conditions (VMC), i.e., clear of clouds. The DA20 has no lightning protection and thus cannot be certified for flying in instrument meteorological conditions (IMC).

If the DA20 pilot has an instrument rating it's possible to file an IFR flight plan and fly in the ATC system, but again the pilot will have to stay completely clear of clouds and can fly only in visual conditions. If ATC tries to vector the DA20 into a cloud, the pilot will have to say "unable."

Finally, it is technically and legally possible to do all of your training for an instrument rating in a DA20, and even take the checkride for the instrument rating in a DA20, provided all of your flying is in VMC. But this is not recommended since you won't have been exposed to flying in the clouds first with an instructor onboard.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N503TS
Airports: KACK

Re: What are the implications of Da20 not IFR certified

Post by N503TS »

I did most of my instrument training in my DA20 (except for about 8 hours or so in a rented 40 for G1000 experience). I bought the 20 the day after I got my PPL and flew it for about 9 months and about 100 hours at which time I traded it in for my DA40. The 20 was very economical to fly and I bought it for such a great buy that it paid for my instrument rating as I got $10k for the trade more than I had paid for it.
I would not recommend a 20 as a primary aircraft in anywhere you might encounter IMC conditions. Arizona, southern California or states with good weather you would be fine but the 20 is very limited in baggage and comfort. Go for an older DA40 if you can. Get a partner if you are looking to save on expenses.
Phil

Commercial Pilot
Nantucket Airport KACK
DA42 N503TS
DA40 N143RD (sold)
DA20 N286DC (sold)