Driving time threshold before flying

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Driving time threshold before flying

Post by Colin »

Back in 2009 my father was having cardiac surgery. I am the primary caregiver for our two boys, so I needed to make the trip from the west coast to east coast on a tight schedule. The best flight was out of Burbank, technically only a little further from Santa Monica than LAX, but often over an hour driving in traffic.

I flew. It was ten minutes in the DA40. My wife said, "What? You're flying the little plane to get on a big plane? What does it cost to park?" Good question! I called. $15 a night to park the plane, $30 a night to park the car.

Really, it was the best part of the trip. When I was returning I was SO looking forward to that little ten minute flight home. I might have stretching it to twenty by headed to the coast first and coming down along Malibu.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Seat time fatigue is also a factor.

At certain times of the year I fly or drive a short run every week or more often. After I factor in hangar to destination versus drive to destination, my total time to destination is identical. However, the amount of time I have to spend parked in a seat is significantly different. Flying, I spend 30 minutes in the seat while getting a little exercise on each end towing the aircraft in and out of hangars. Driving, I am glued to a seat for exactly two hours (the drive is mostly on state highway through the mountains). When I fly, I arrive refreshed in the morning and again in the evening when I return. When I drive, I feel the cumulative effects of four hours of seat time. It is tiring and it feels unhealthy. Given the two-lane road I have to drive with so many drop-offs into the river or mountain sides, I also feel safer when I fly, especially in the winter. So . . . I fly when I can and drive when I have to shuttle more stuff than I can duct-tape to the side of my DA40.

Just another consideration.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

There is no question but fly if you can. Someday you will be without an airplane and/or without a medical and you will think back on all those times you drove when you could have flown, wishing that you flew when you could. Don't ask me how I know :( I have over 2100 hours, but wish I had much more.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

After 11 months of airplane ownership, I'd say fly if you can. It's the only part of the trip you'll enjoy. Driving is a chore. Flying is just plane fun. (Pun intended) :)