Longitudinal control on take-off/landing roll

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Tosh

Longitudinal control on take-off/landing roll

Post by Tosh »

Hi there,

I am a private pilot based in San Francisco bay area (Hayward, KHWD).
Recently I started renting DA40 at a flight school and logged 4-5 hours so far. I was struck by its beautiful appearance and super smooth flight control. :shock: ...I think I fell in love.

Transition to center joystick was no problem and I feel it's quite intuitive. Only issue is my tri-fold kneeboard doesn't fit with a joystick so I will need to get a smaller plate or something.

I have a question about longitudinal control on take-off/landing roll. I am getting used to the free-castering nose wheel when taxing, but I have difficulty to keep straight on take-off and landing roll. Obviously I don't want to use brakes especially on take-off, so the airplane is little bit swinging left and right until it gets enough airspeed.
It would be great if I can get some tips from experienced DA pilots here.

Also, I'd love to connect to the local pilots who fly Diamonds. Please let me know if you are SF local.

Thanks!
Tosh
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Re: Longitudinal control on take-off/landing roll

Post by Chris B »

Hi Tosh -

Welcome to DAN!

You might find this thread (link) helpful for tips on dealing with the free-castering nose wheel on takeoff. IMO, rudder compensation for takeoff in a DA40 is a bit like a tail wheel aircraft: short 'blips' on the rudder, combined with experience. ;)

There are several of us on DAN based in the Bay Area. I am based at RHV and would enjoy syncing-up!

Chris
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

ZuluWorks made the best small kneeboard, but they appear to have gone out of business. I assume someone else has stepped into the gap. (This looks close: http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/1783 )

I was going to offer some advice on the takeoff roll, but it is all in the thread that Chris linked to.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Tosh

Post by Tosh »

@Chris
Thanks for the link to the discussion thread. It looks very helpful for me..
I would love to meet to you for sync up. Can you email me to arksat4 (at) gmail.com, since I don't have membership at DAN so I can't send a DM to you.

@Colin,
Thanks for the recommendation. I will try a small ASA VFR plate and will see how I like it.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Tosh wrote:Hi there,

Transition to center joystick was no problem and I feel it's quite intuitive. Only issue is my tri-fold kneeboard doesn't fit with a joystick so I will need to get a smaller plate or something.

Thanks!
Tosh
I gave up on the tri-fold, but do use a knee board on my right knee for handling clearances. A kneeboard on the right does not seem to interfere with the center stick.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
lanceav8r

Post by lanceav8r »

The best advice I can give you is to go get yourself qualified in a tailwheel airplane of any type. Once you are competent to land a conventional gear airplane you will not have a problem with any other airplane.
Tosh wrote:Hi there,

I am a private pilot based in San Francisco bay area (Hayward, KHWD).
Recently I started renting DA40 at a flight school and logged 4-5 hours so far. I was struck by its beautiful appearance and super smooth flight control. :shock: ...I think I fell in love.

I have a question about longitudinal control on take-off/landing roll. I am getting used to the free-castering nose wheel when taxing, but I have difficulty to keep straight on take-off and landing roll. Obviously I don't want to use brakes especially on take-off, so the airplane is little bit swinging left and right until it gets enough airspeed.
It would be great if I can get some tips from experienced DA pilots here.

Also, I'd love to connect to the local pilots who fly Diamonds. Please let me know if you are SF local.

Thanks!
Tosh
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I have the original, smaller rudder. My DA40 plane simply does not have enough rudder to keep the nose straight if I hit full power right from a standing start. The trick is to roll the power on smoothly so as to have adequate airspeed for control.

As to kneeboards, I have a Zulu mini. It's unfortunate that they're no longer available. BUT you can get a small clipboard (4x6) and the requisite paper pads from various stationery suppliers.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

It is heartening to learn that I'm not the only one who can't drive straight from 0-40 kts. As an engine guy, I always take 3-4 seconds to go from idle to 2700 RPM. Even then, I find that my line varies from ruler straight to several feet off. Oddly, the lower winds seem to present more challenge than does a strong crosswind. Also, any small irregularities in the runway surface can have unpredictable effects.

Question: I have time in the C400 and it seems easier to control. Any thoughts on what is different on our DA40's, small or large rudder?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

The C400 is much heavier and has much higher wing loading -- hence it's less likely to be "light" on the controls or be deflected by winds during initial takeoff roll.

In general, the bigger and heavier the aircraft, the easier it is to fly. :)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

CFIDave wrote:The C400 is much heavier and has much higher wing loading -- hence it's less likely to be "light" on the controls or be deflected by winds during initial takeoff roll.

In general, the bigger and heavier the aircraft, the easier it is to fly. :)
My observation is that it's not that it's "light on the controls". At sea level, zero airspeed, full power, there simply isn't enough rudder to hold it straight against the torque from the prop-stream. (The effect isn't as pronounced at higher-altitude airports.) Something around 20-25 knots is enough to correct that problem. As long as one rolls the power on over a few seconds to allow speed to build as power builds, then directional control can readily be maintained with rudder alone. But it still is useful to anticipate rudder inputs rather than react after you need them. in this sense it's like a taildragger.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5