PPL in Da-40 Canada?

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Jeff B

PPL in Da-40 Canada?

Post by Jeff B »

Hello,

I took my first flight yesterday in a c-172, and it was great. Can one do his or her PPL in a DA-40 in Canada? I know you can in the US, but I'm not sure if you can in Canada. I'm considering purchasing one, and would like to do my training in it if possible.

Thanks
Jeff
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Re: PPL in Da-40 Canada?

Post by Lou »

Hi Jeff,

I just did this myself in the last year. I think it's a great idea. If you register on the forum so I can PM you my contact info, I'd be happy to share everything I have learned.

(not sure if you can register without an aircraft but if not, search my tail number on the TC website to get my full name, then Google to get my office number. I just don't like to have crawlers pick up personal information on forums)

Louis
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Since the Diamond factory is located and London, Ontario and they have a related flight training operation I am not sure why you wouldn't be able to. You could call them to check. They probably have a DA40 they'd like to sell you.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Colin wrote:Since the Diamond factory is located and London, Ontario and they have a related flight training operation I am not sure why you wouldn't be able to. You could call them to check. They probably have a DA40 they'd like to sell you.
And I know they have several DA42's they would love to sell you :)
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

Which part of the country are you looking for? In my area, there are schools with DA-40s at CYHU and CNV9. And there are others I'm sure.
Star57
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Frank
Aircraft Registration: C-FRZA 40.509
Airports: CYBW

Post by Star57 »

Hello Jeff, you can also contact me via this forum or my private Email, arresboy@gmail.com, I did my PPL on a 172SP and moved to the Diamond, we are thinking about selling it and moving to heavier faster iron or carbon fiber.
Im in Calgary Alberta
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies. I'm located in Montreal, and no schools around here use Diamond aircraft. As I understand it, it is up to the examiner to determine if he wants you to demonstrate a spiral or spin. Which the DA-40 is not certified for, which is why I asked if it could be used. Although some schools that use the da-40 have said to was not a problem. So I don't know. With all that being said. I think I will start liking for a diamond and take the plunge. Anyone Canadians have an early g1000 model they are looking to sell?

Jeff
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Charles wrote:Which part of the country are you looking for? In my area, there are schools with DA-40s at CYHU and CNV9. And there are others I'm sure.
Hi Charles,
I'm actually flying out of CYHU. Using Air Richelieu. Which schools are you referring to? Would you be willing to chat on the phone. I sure can use some advice.
Thanks
Jeff
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

Hi Jeff,

Air Richelieu used to have a DA40 but they don't appear to have it anymore, sorry. There is an older DA40 at CYHU (C-GBCK) that is operated as an aeroclub with seven small fractional owners. In fact a share is up for sale for $25k right now http://www.lespac.com/montreal/vehicule ... 5126D0.jsa . I believe CPAQ Aero gives flight lessons on that aircraft to the fractional owners and I'm pretty sure you could do a full PPL that way. This could be a cheap way to test DA40 ownership before buying your own.

I did my IFR on a DA40 with CPAQ that way.

Charles
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Thanks Charles,

I called up CPAQ to get some info. Your right it is an easy way to get into plane ownership. Thanks for the tip.

Jeff