Returning to flying, thank you for the inspiration

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

TJ Stanley

Returning to flying, thank you for the inspiration

Post by TJ Stanley »

Hello folks,
I am a pilot (CPL w MEL & IFR ratings) who hasn't been current for about 10 years.. I am finally ready to start flying again. I have no flying experience with Diamond aircraft, but I have always liked them and I am interested in going the Diamond route to get my feet wet again. I live in the Bay Area so I plan on taking a trip to Hayward, where they have a Diamond dealership/flight school and start poking my head around. Hopefully will be lucky to score a demo flight in the DA42-VI

The DA42-VI has been my dream, and I wanted come on here and to thank Dave, Eric, Brian(Jaunty17) and everyone for posting their DA42-VI videos on youtube. You all have been a big source of inspiration for me to get back into flying. The DA42-VI has everything I want in a plane, and eventually owning one is my ultimate goal.

I have been 'groundschooling' myself, getting the ol grey matter back up to CPL Written standards, studying DA42 manuals/procedures, going to local FAA seminars and so on.

Anyway, Dave, Eric, and everyone, thank you again.

Cheers
TJ
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Returning to flying, thank you for the inspiration

Post by Colin »

If you mean Bay City Flyers they are the best.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

In order to live, you must fly.
You could not have picked a better aircraft to start up your flying journey again.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

TJ,
I don't know what you financial situation is, but if cost is a concern at all, you may want to look into what the Diamond (Canada) factory has available. I know they are upgrading a number of DA42 aircraft (including mine) that will sell for much, much, less than a new DA42-VI.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
TJ Stanley

Post by TJ Stanley »

Thank you guys for your responses. Cary, I will definitely consider that when it's time to cross that bridge. Thank you for your suggestion.

Tommy, yes, flying is required for living :) I've read your posts in the DA42 section and know you are a big fan of the Aerostar. I am too, I think it is an awesome airplane, a testament to the brilliance of Ted Smith....along with the Aero Commander. Speaking of Ted Smith influences, google 'Sexy Sue' and 'A-26' and watch the related youtube vid...oh man that thing is a beauty :shock: .....if I some how run into Paul Allen collection type of money, that desire for DA42 'economy' just might take a back seat to A-26 brashness. :D Anyway, no doubt like you, I learned to fly the 'old way'...steam gauge flying, E6B and stopwatch math, NDB approaches and so on lol.

Since you have lots of experience with both steam and glass, you would be a great one to ask this, how do you balance keeping your old skills sharp and passing off things to the gadgets/computers? I've been working alot with the G1000 trainer, watching the videos and so on. I do appreciate the safety factors that the G1000 brings to the table, however, I am very wary of dulled skills and instincts that can com from relying on the 'computer' too much. How do you approach something like that? This goes for everyone really. Anyway, I am curious on opinions here.

Colin, yes, that place in Hayward is in fact Bay City Flyers. I look forward to visiting with them.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Cheers
TJ
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

We don't need to maintain unnecessary skills. Avionics has advanced to the point that old skills are not necessary. I, too, learned with steam gauges and ADF. Indeed, my multi-check ride included an off field ADF-B approach (with one engine out) :( I swear that I will never do another ADF approach and I will be happy if I never even see an ADF again.

I do practice with the backup gauges just in case, but I haven't found that to be a problem and the G1000 is just so much easier to use and keeps me (feeling) safer that I just don't worry about flying ADF anymore and keeping such skills up.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

I fly by hand every week. And for my annual BFR we always to an emergency landing. Now I will be doing a single-engine approach, I imagine. Those are the skills that are necessary. I never learned to do an NDB or ADF-B approach. That certainly would not be a skill that would come to the fore if the smoke and mirrors are disappear on me. (And I now fly with a Stratus 2s and Foreflight, so I have backup synthetic vision.)

Work hard to develop the scenarios that are most likely to happen. Cover those with skills that you keep sharp. I've been in the plane when I lost the autopilot, and when I lost the alternator. I was not an all uncomfortable either time.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

TJ Stanley wrote:TI do appreciate the safety factors that the G1000 brings to the table, however, I am very wary of dulled skills and instincts that can com from relying on the 'computer' too much. How do you approach something like that? This goes for everyone really. Anyway, I am curious on opinions here.
Cheers
TJ
TJ, first of all welcome to flying again. I hope you will enjoy it the way we all do. I think in my case there are some "happiness hormones" that get triggered when blue skies plus DA40 plus a few cumulus are on the menu...

Regarding your question above. I approach it like this: the G1000 is my copilot.
It does an amazing number of things for me that reduce my workload AND improve ability to stay ahead of the airplane.
The G1000 requires me to be disciplined and imposes a structure on my "think ahead" process.
For example: use VNAV to plan a letdown, even into a VFR field. This way, I know when to request descent clearance so as to arrive in the pattern with just the right amount of energy.
The G1000's engine monitor is also a great way to stay alert regarding health of the engine.
And now that summer thunderstorms are all over the place, it is great to see what is happening ahead with the flight path overlaid. (I only have a stormscope on board, you'll have much more...).
Now what about emergencies?
I frequently click on the "NRST" button and check which airfield I would pick in case something ugly happens. I take into account winds aloft and runway length.
I also mentally rehearse what to do first if we lose the engine.
When flying in IMC, I have a second AI ready in the iPhone.
As often as possible, I hand fly approaches vs letting the autopilot do it.
When conditions are tough, I always hand fly the approach so as to avoid being caught with an AP disconnect due to excessive forces and me needing to jump in unprepared. The G1000 provides fantastic situational awareness when hand flying.
And finally, every time I can, I put the plane in seriously unusual attitudes for the fun of it... at the end of the day, it is about flying the airplane...
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

I frequently click on the "NRST" button and check which airfield I would pick in case something ugly happens.
When I flew across the country for the first time my brother and I were exhausted by the last day of our flight. Crossing Ohio and headed for Maryland, we found the NEAREST page on the MFD to be very reassuring. We just kept it there, with the dashed white line always showing the course to the nearest airport, always (at that point) within gliding distance.

Antoine is right. A very capable, knowledgable co-pilot. Sort of like the co-pilot on the AirCanada jet that ran out of fuel at 34,000 feet, and he knew right where there was a runway below them because he had flight trained there.