Diamond A/C for learning & business

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Will

Diamond A/C for learning & business

Post by Will »

Folks,

I am not a pilot. I do not currently own an aircraft.

But am very interested in learning to fly and purchasing an a/c for business purposes. Primary reason is that I have to travel on a recurring basis to the same 2-3 places each week for business. Whether I drive or take commercial, depending upon location, the travel time is anywhere from 3 hrs to 8 hrs one way. Locations range from 100nm - 325nm from home base. So a friend suggested private aircraft and taking lessons. Suggested a small plane and hiring an IP for both instruction and to accompany back & forth on trips. Twin objectives of shortening travel time and earning a private license.

Several folks suggested Cirrus. In looking at safety data & reading reports, I got concerned. Looking at Diamond it appears that the DA40 and DA42 have great safety records. For me this is not about flash, this is about transportation... safe transportation.

Is there any merit to a plan for learning and spending a few years with a DA40 and then upgrading to the DA42?
I realize that in any small a/c will have to be flexible with regard to whether. It is also my understanding that while a two engine twin piston can provide an additional margin of safety, it also requires additional effort to remain proficient and current in those safety or emergency procedures.

Is this a realistic approach? What am I missing?
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Re: Diamond A/C for learning & business

Post by Kai »

Will,

a small aircraft without pressurization and de-icing will not guarantee you the reliability you need in business. You will have to fly on airliners or have other back up options when the weather is not safe to fly. You know better what kind of weather to expect in the area you are flying and our answers here might differ depending on your location. You might want to learn flying before even considering to buy an aircraft. You will have a better understanding and get answers which we cannot give you here.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Will,

I just purchased a DA-40 and finished my PPL training on it. I don't yet have a lot of experience but the primary reason for buying the aircraft was safety. I plan to start my IFR training right away, also for safety and greater flexibility. I think training is easier on the Diamond than on a C172, for what it is worth. As for using it for local business travel, I also think this is quite doable, as long as you accept that if the conditions aren't right, you'll have to drive. Remember, the most dangerous things for private pilots are urgency and IMC.

My two bits. Have fun,

LB
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Will wrote:Locations range from 100nm - 325nm from home base. So a friend suggested . . . a small plane . . . Is there any merit to a plan for learning and spending a few years with a DA40 and then upgrading to the DA42? . . . Is this a realistic approach? What am I missing?
Will,

First, congratulations for your interest in safety. The safety record of the DA40 unsurpassed in many ways that you can learn by searching this website. It is also one of the easiest aircraft to learn to fly. Once you learn, it is among the fastest and most fuel efficient in its class.

In terms of distance, your plan is very feasible. The DA40 will cover 325 miles pretty quickly.

You didn't mention your location. That would play a significant role in the ease with which you could execute your plan. If your location is in IMC (low clouds, rain, snow, thunderstorms, etc.) much of the year, you will find many times that even an IFR rating will not get you from point A to point B, especially if you are on a schedule.

Finally, you will find considerable disagreement among pilots as to whether having a second engine increases or decreases safety. Interpretations of the safety data are subject to disagreement but, generally, the safety record of single engine small GA aircraft is better than the record of small GA twins. Eventually. the safety of Diamond twins may change this historical trend. Either way, your plan to start with a DA40 is sound. Once you have 500 or so hours under your belt, you may choose to stick with the DA40, trade it in for a twin (you are not likely to save any time on a short run and the cost differences are substantial), or trade up for a larger and faster single.

All of this sounds like a fun adventure. After satisfying myself on the medical requirements, I would start looking for that DA40.
Will

Post by Will »

Thanks for the responses....

In terms of weather... New England and mid-Atlantic US. So will have days with fog, rain, snow, sleet, etc.
I realize that a small private aircraft will have Wx delays much more frequently than commercial aviation, or even driving. Will delay or move up departures as required by Wx. Also, will drive or take commercial when the Wx is unsuitable.

In terms of twin vs. single.. yes have read the stats that suggest that in aggregate the safety records are no better, and my in some instances be worse, with a twin than a single. That being said, I will not undertake this course of action, unless I commit myself to the requisite training, time in seat, and re-current training required for proficiency. I am doing this for business reasons rather than recreation. Also, understand that general aviation has a higher accident and mortality rate than commercial. So will only do this if I make the proper commitments.

I just don't like the idea of a single power plant and single, crucial point of failure in a single piston engine.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

In that part of the country you can count on being grounded any time it is cold and wet. Just a guess but that means about 3 months out of the year.

If you are looking for just transportation then small aircraft are not always the best choice. However if there is more to it than transportation then yes you should go for it. If you realistically see yourself flying for more than 100 hours per year then owning does make financial sense over renting. Aircraft partnerships with one or more owners are a very good way to own an airplane. Look in to that if cost is a limiting factor. With good training and moderate experience along with quality maintenance you can use an airplane for business somewhat reliably. You just have to plan alternatives. If you have time to spare then go by air.