Preferred Power Settings

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Preferred Power Settings

Post by CFIDave »

Rick:
I feel your pain -- the DA40 AFM/POH reflects non-Powerflow, non-G1000 aircraft (since Powerflow was added in 2007, and G1000 in 2004 as STCs).

I recall that the Lycoming engine manual doesn't place a 2400 RPM restriction on the IO-360M1A engine -- it's certified for 2700 RPM all day long. But we really need something from Diamond that includes the airframe and prop to be more authoritative.

The closest thing I've found from Diamond is the latest DA40-180 Checklist, which has a small diagram on page 5 showing they recommend operating at Max power 2700 RPM during climb until leveling off at cruise:
http://support.diamond-air.at/cl_da40-1 ... 73ab0.html
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I have always used 2700 for takeoff until 1000 feet AGL, then back to 2400 for remainder of climb. I usually cruise at 2200 for the peace and quiet. Increasing to 2400 only buys me a few more KTS. I have a non-Powerflow with the original MT 3 bladed prop.
linzhiming
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Registration: N799DS
Airports: EGLK

Post by linzhiming »

linzhiming wrote:
Rick wrote:There seems to be general agreement here on the DAN that the max continuous 2400 RPM limitation in the POH no longer applies, but can anyone tell me where I can find something official to "prove" this to some local CFIs? My wife is working on her PPL, and her first CFI made her reduce RPMs to 2400 immediately after lifting off "because it's required by the POH" (I consider this unsafe!). He also states that, per the POH, you should "never exceed 2400 RPMs for any length of time". Apparently that is the prevailing belief here, so without something official that supersedes the POH, I will have trouble making progress with these "by-the-book" guys...

I sure wish Diamond would update their POH to reflect reality!
Hi Rick,

It should be in a separate AFM supplement that comes with the propeller STC. I am travelling at the moment so can't scan it in for you but assuming that the AFM supplement was added to the AFM, it should be one of the supplements following the main AFM itself (from memory, it is the first supplement in my AFM binder).

Wolfgang
I scanned in the AFM supplement but I am unable to upload it as I get the error message that the file was too large to be uploaded although the file size is only 1.2 MB (Zipping it does not reduce the file size as it is already using an embedded compressed image format). That seems like a low limit for the upload of attachments, 5 MB would maybe be reasonable? Please send me a PM if you need the supplement. I will also try to reduce the size over the weekend as I need to head to work now.

Wolfgang
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Wolfgang,

Thanks for the information - I finally found my prop STC in the binder with all the other STC's, tucked in between the G1000 and PowerFlow paperwork. And there it was - 2700 max continuous RPM and also 2700 RPM suggested for climb to cruise. That was exactly the information I was looking for!

As far as the limitation on the uploading of attachments, I suspect that will be a bit harder to find. :D I will do some research and check with Chris to see if we can find a more reasonable limit.

Thanks guys!
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
linzhiming
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Registration: N799DS
Airports: EGLK

Post by linzhiming »

I managed to split the supplement into two files, which then allowed me to attach them to this message.

Wolfgang
MT propeller AFMS (part 1).pdf
(612.71 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
MT propeller AFMS (part 2).pdf
(618.7 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Wolfgang, thanks for the STC.

I see the forum attachment limit is set to 1000 Kb, so that explains why your 1.2 Mb file failed to upload. I'll leave it to Chris and Kai to decide if they want to raise it or not.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)